Would like your opinion on fossil collection.

Georgemckenzie

Unfortunately, this image is useless for most identifications.  I am assuming you want ID's since no valuations are allowed on TFF.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Looks real to me. Not in great shape. 

039AD912-5AD0-.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The tooth is almost certainly real given the root damage. If you are buying the collection for the megalodon tooth, I'd suggest saving your money in favor of buying one as a stand alone. 

Hi George,

only my personal opinion:

This seems to be a little bit of everything, looks like a "collection starter kit", including pottery shards. As far as I can tell from the photo, the single pieces seem real, not bad, but not exceptional. I would definitely pick most of them up and carry them home if I found them at the beach.

As tempting as it may be, I like to remember how I got the single pieces in my collection (even if only the occasion I bought them)

In my opinion  buying a bulk is only worth it if you would really want to buy most of the single pieces. (or one very much so that you cannot get otherwise)

Best Regards,

J

• I found this Informative 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Would like your opinion on fossil collection.

Most of these appear to be from rock shops or museum stores. For that sort of common commercially available item it's a fine collection.

It’s a nice little starter collection. Not exceptional or rare. Most pieces commonly available and cheap. For me it would  depend on how many pieces I wanted out of it and what the total price they are asking for it....

The Meg looks real. I doubt any of this is fake, but if you're curious about anything in particular closer photos would be ideal

If these were to be your first fossils I would say "Go for it if the price is good". If looking to add to an existing collection I would suggest that whatever you would spend on these specimens you put into one or two specimens of better quality. The majority of those specimens, to me, are what I call "leaverite", as in leaverite where you found it. You would be paying for what most who collect in the field would consider "garbage" or "giveaways". I would prefer quality over quantity. Quantity will increase on its own almost miraculously over time.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!