A cute little kettneraspis

Malcolmt

I have not posted anything for quite a while as I have been very busy doing prep for a number of dealers and a major Museum. Unfortunately without their permission I cannot post what are some spectacular pieces. I figured I deserved to do a piece for myself for a change. Started this one on the Sep. 19th and finished this afternoon. I did not really track the time but probably in the 6 to 8 hour range. Unfortunately the fellow that split the rock in Morocco was not the gentlest on the bug. The matrix was in three pieces before I glued it back together. There is no restoration or coating on this Kettneraspis (Leonaspis)at this point in time... Might do a tiny bit of restoration on the join line but have not made that decision yet. Let me know if you would do any restoration on this one.

The preparation was with a COMCO MB1000 at about 20PSI using 40 micron dolomite mostly with .018 .015 and .010 nozzles. The scribes used on this one were HW-10, Pferd MST-31, CP 9361, and HW322. All preparation was done under an Olympus SZ3060 Zoom scope. As many of you know I never prep anything without a scope. The matrix was put back together with super thin cyano acrylate and was clamped for 24 hours before starting prep

The bug is 24.3mm long 24.07mm wide

The first two pics are as it is sitting right now (potentially completed) and the ones before are taken during the prep. The difference in matrix color is due to indoor versus outdoor pics The reddish matrix pics were taken outside. Not the greatest pics just with my phone.

K63 Finished.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

Around 5 hours into the prep. Pretty much knew at this point that the bug was 100% complete 

5f6a4a50ba57c_K63makingprogress.thumb.jpg.7e16d68ed55f3e558fb37fa8f109ce69.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Wow this turned out beautifully! :wub:

Personally I'd think restoring along that joint would be rather tedious work to cover over such a small imperfection, but I am still extremely new to the world of prepping.

14 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

Wow this turned out beautifully! :wub:

Personally I'd think restoring along that joint would be rather tedious work to cover over such a small imperfection, but I am still extremely new to the world of prepping.

Its actually far more noticeable in the picture than in person. It would probably take about a half hour to do. The tough part is generally to match the color.

Yes it is mine... I have about 4 or 5 of these prepped already and I probably still have 5 or 6 unpreppped. Hoping that by the time I prep them all there will be 2 species in the pile. Eventually I will probably hang on to a few of the best and move the rest. This one has a bit of an occipital horn that some of my others do not have.

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Hi Malcolmt.  I may be one of the few, but I would fix that little break joint.  and a very nice bug.

RB

I have not decided at this point if I am going to keep it for myself. If I decide to let it go then I would do whatever the new owner would want. I looked this morning and I have at least 5 or 6 other unprepped bugs labeled Leonaspis /kettneraspis from Morocco. I also have 3 prepped and a couple unprepped Kettneraspis from Black Cat. I have decided that for the next few days I am going to prep a few things for myself as I just finished the last plate  that was due for September on my big Museum project. I am hoping to get another kettneraspis, a cyphaspis and a Walliserops (started over a year ago at 40 hours now and almost finished)  prepped for myself as I do not currently have essentially 100% complete examples of these in my personal collection

• I found this Informative 1