Fossil Hunting on Private Land

FossilsandScience

Hey everyone!

There are a few formations that I want to be able to dig in and I have found their locations on different mapping services. Now all I need to do is figure out if the land is public or private, and if private, who to contact to ask for permission to hunt on their land. I'm not sure where to start to figure this out. How do you find out if an area is a private land, and if so, their contact number? Any response is appreciated! Thanks!

Go to the Town clerks office, and ask for the information.

Some towns have the information online for property tax purposes.  

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

In Wyoming I go to the county assessor, or the county clerk.  You can do it all online in this state, but a personal visit will be better for starting out.  Here you can find out the name and address of the landowner, but they will not give out phone numbers.  

• I found this Informative 1

In states like California that have large BLM holdings I usually start with the BLM website to see if its public land. If you are closer to a city most of the more populous counties have county assessor searchable maps that allow you to determine if the land is public. In California you have to pay for a paper copy of the deed if you want to find out who owns the land as they wont give out personal information over the internet. I actually used this method in the past to gain access to private land.

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Go to the Town clerks office, and ask for the information.

Some towns have the information online for property tax purposes.  

4 hours ago, jpc said:

In Wyoming I go to the county assessor, or the county clerk.  You can do it all online in this state, but a personal visit will be better for starting out.  Here you can find out the name and address of the landowner, but they will not give out phone numbers.  

4 hours ago, JBMugu said:

In states like California that have large BLM holdings I usually start with the BLM website to see if its public land. If you are closer to a city most of the more populous counties have county assessor searchable maps that allow you to determine if the land is public. In California you have to pay for a paper copy of the deed if you want to find out who owns the land as they wont give out personal information over the internet. I actually used this method in the past to gain access to private land.

Thank you for the information! I will try to visit the county clerk soon and hopefully figure it out!

1 hour ago, JBMugu said:

If one of the location you want to dig is in Bakersfield I can probably help you out with that one.

Definitely interested in digging near Bakersfield!

Plat maps are usually available from the county in each state. Nowadays should be available online.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!