Mysterious Skull from Liaoning

Crazyhen

Hi, this skull is from Liaoning, China in Yixian, early Cretaceous.  Any idea what it is?  Whether it is reptilian or mammalian species?

IMG_7992.JPG

IMG_7995.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

Holy carp. That, is a basal ceratopsian dinosaur...

It looks like it might be Liaoceratops. Although it could be a different ceratopsian. I'm not very familiar with the extent of the ceratopsian diversity there.

It's a little crushed, but otherwise it's an amazing specimen.

Liaoceratops.

liaoceratops-yanzigouensis-416314a-f1-2.jpg.a475b3c0bfeb5f88bf643c138a50a33a.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

The skull is dorso-ventrally compressed, the posterior end of the skull is quite wide (not so obvious as seen by the photos).  It measures 12cm in width and 20cm in length.

• I found this Informative 1

17 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

IMG_7996.JPG

If you personally found it this month, be sure to submit this fossil for this fossil of the month contest! It's an amazing find!

38 minutes ago, Darbi said:

If you personally found it this month, be sure to submit this fossil for this fossil of the month contest! It's an amazing find!

Unfortunately it's not found by me, it was shown by a local fossil collector who does not know what species it is and is asking for advice on its identification.  Thanks for the reminder though.

Another unknown species found in the same locality, it was named as "turtle-back dinosaur" based on its wide rib cage.  Any idea what species it is?  

IMG_8012.JPG

22 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

Another unknown species found in the same locality, it was named as "turtle-back dinosaur" based on its wide rib cage.  Any idea what species it is?  

Liaoningosaurus perhaps? It comes from Yixian Formation of Liaoning too. The size fits as well

liaoningsaurus-588.jpga-b-Liaoningosaurus-paradoxus-IVPP-V12560-holotype-a-photograph-b-line-drawing-of.png.d72a4a7d5555ef3ff9f8b5ef23fdf322.png

• I found this Informative 2

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 25/09/2020 at 2:15 PM, Crazyhen said:

Does it look like this softshell turtle from Jehol formation?

Not to me. The creature you posted earlier has a different head, neck and body

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!