Is TP safe for fossils?

Jurassicz1

I had this chalk rock in toilet paper for a while. I took it out today and it has these red marks. Did toilet paper cause this? Today i put some fossils in some toilet paper until i get a New cabinet. And it makes me worried that it will happen to them too. Maybe the sun burned it? Heard that it can discolor fossils but i dont remember the sun being near it. Any ideas on how to remove/fix this.16008772928155861884688702767754.thumb.jpg.5ac0da2ba786c2f651400e1caa357c67.jpg

The red marks look like iron oxide (rust). Was there something on top of the wrapped fossil, possibly with a metallic content? Or in a metal container?

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

45 minutes ago, daves64 said:

The red marks look like iron oxide (rust). Was there something on top of the wrapped fossil, possibly with a metallic content? Or in a metal container?

Hmm not of what i can think of. If so anyways to remove it?

Paper (except 'archival' paper) is acidic.  Over a period of time, TP will react like old news print, I suppose.  Naturally occurring iron in fossil matrix might oxidize producing reddish stains.  Just my speculation.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

4 hours ago, daves64 said:

Maybe small flakes of metal or shavings somehow got onto the fossil and rusted?

14 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Paper (except 'archival' paper) is acidic.  Over a period of time, TP will react like old news print, I suppose.  Naturally occurring iron in fossil matrix might oxidize producing reddish stains.  Just my speculation.

Oh so its bad to use TP? I use some in my storage like this. Should i then remove some fossils from toilet paper wrappings?16009410027646690968277353119812.thumb.jpg.f2a9c32b7f19096009a5ab9bc54266d8.jpg

Not sure what topic to post this. I have alot of these plastic drawers and boxes. With toilet paper i did post on a other topic if its safe to use for fossils. Got some mixed replies. So is it safe? I use them for all my storages. And im planning on making paper boxes with normal paper. Very stupid questions i just want to be 100% safe :)16009428803915757835988824093050.thumb.jpg.05252e943e3d9524e36277247715c013.jpg

I can’t see why TP would damage a fossil. If your making your own boxes you could use  acid free card . I don’t know if it will make it safer but they want yellow so quickly.  One more thing make sure you fossil are completely dry before storing .  Cheers Bobby 

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Is TP safe for fossils?

Topics moved to Questions and Answers and merged. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 9/24/2020 at 5:51 AM, Jurassicz said:

Should i then remove some fossils from toilet paper wrappings?

Only the iron-rich specimens, if my speculatation is correct.  But, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

What seest thou else

Unless you plan on shaking your plastic drawers often, the specimens should be fine laying directly on the plastic. If the TP is just at the base (not always necessary), the bottom-facing part would not likely be where you would place the visible fossil, as that would be facing up unless you have some kind of esoteric fossil storage system.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, Missourian said:

It's ok with coprolites.

For sure! :heartylaugh:

I know, old paper (50 years and older) is very acidic and it is destructing itself with time. But how acid is modern TP really?

What would be the degree of actual damage done to a fossil? 

I can imagine a light surface damage of CaCO3-based material over time. Are there any studies out there to show this damage directly?

Eg. how is a polished surface of CaCO3 altered by TP over time? This would be nice to see!

@Harry Pristis

Franz Bernhard

Why anyone would use TP to wrap/cushion a fossil is beyond me.  Plastic foam sheeting is widely available for FREE.  Recycle some from your local furniture store.  Ask at the loading dock.  The foam comes is several thicknesses, and is inert.

What seest thou else

I line my collector’s drawers with a natural wool felt. It adds a little cushioning but what it does is it stops the fossil moving around when the drawers are opened or shut .

16 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

For sure! :heartylaugh:

I know, old paper (50 years and older) is very acidic and it is destructing itself with time. But how acid is modern TP really?

What would be the degree of actual damage done to a fossil? 

I can imagine a light surface damage of CaCO3-based material over time. Are there any studies out there to show this damage directly?

Eg. how is a polished surface of CaCO3 altered by TP over time? This would be nice to see!

@Harry Pristis

Franz Bernhard

Unless it is specifically labelled as "acid free" all modern paper is acidic.  I think the chemistry for how they dissolve and process the pulp has been improved but from what I understand acid is still used to break down the fibers.

For most fossils the tiny amount of acid in typical paper would be minimal and probably prove no harm.  Pyritized specimens may be more vulnerable.  If you like the look of paper-lined bins and don't want to take chances go to, or order on line, some acid free paper from an art store.  Most hand-made papers are acid free as well.  You could get a nice look with some of the heavier textured products.  

PS my guess is the iron was already in the limestone and either you didn't notice it before hand or a little water/moisture was introduced.  If you had cleaned the specimen with water and it wasn't fully dried out you can get staining like that.  Some rocks need a few days to fully dry if at all.

• I found this Informative 3

Another option is to go to a fabric store and look around for some cushiony cotton type fabric - I'm not sure what they call it exactly but it might be one of the things they line quilts with (not the real springy stuff but a little flatter and softer than that. The springy stuff appears to be made of plastic fibre and the fibres tend to snag on sharp points on some rocks.). If it's not too expensive you can buy a couple square yards/meters of it and be set for a long time. It works well as lining for drawers or for specimen boxes. It will prevent the fossils from sliding around in the drawer as Bobby says (the main purpose, for me) but in your plastic drawers it may slide around in the drawer itself, so you'll have to attach it somehow.

I should get a picture and save me 1000 words...

8 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I'm not sure what they call it exactly but it might be one of the things they line quilts

Thanks Eric That’s what I use too It is a wadding and I think in USA it is called Batting .

C2B7B59C-6175-4C98-8BED-ED3CAF10D39D.jpeg

in the large drawers the batting is spay glued but in small compartments it is just cut to size. It really stops a lot of movement of the fossil 

D23FE95C-ACD8-4849-A301-54F0CD5C2043.jpeg

95C839C4-DAD3-4E65-8E89-6FF10B12AC7D.jpeg

4 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Thanks Eric That’s what I use too It is a wadding and I think in USA it is called Batting .

in the large drawers the batting is spay glued but in small compartments it is just cut to size. It really stops a lot of movement of the fossil 

Yes, I've heard cotton batton... but there are different types and I still should get some closeup shots of them to make the distinction. The springier stuff really does snag and the stuff I use does not, so I'm still not sure they're called by the same term or meant for the same purpose (eg. quilting).

Nice sectioned corals and stromatolite, btw. :look: