Is TP safe for fossils?

Jurassicz1

Here ya go. The stuff on the left as you can see is coarser, thicker, and springier and snaggier! The stuff on the right is softer and less snaggy. I guess both kinds can be useful - I would think the left is fine for larger fossils, and the right is better for smaller/more delicate ones (like a lot of mine), esp. when you go to cut a square of it to line one of those small white specimen boxes, but it will also line a large drawer nicely.

5f727fbb6fa26_2types.thumb.jpg.6f3fbae161093aa4a3cb3dbcf4670b29.jpg

I highly recommend tin foil to wrap your fossils..........but that’s just me. I’ve never had issues with it and it can be very durable for delicate specimens. You can loosely wrap delicate pieces and the foil makes a nice durable cocoon over your specimens. Does amazing when I have several specimens in my bag over many mile hikes (some as far at 6-7 miles)....no nics or scratches on the rocks from rubbing together...the foil does a really good job. For the longest time I’ve used a combo of papertowels and tin foil but when things are wet I found myself skipping the paper towel part. Now I exclusively use aluminum foil in the field and I use it when I need to protect specimens from each other in storage. 

I have had bad reactions to newspaper, paper towels (got wet in storage and stained the rocks) and TP. Its really a moisture issue. Even a tiny bit of moisture over a long period of time can cause rust marks on rocks. 

I never store wet specimens. All my wet stuff from the field I open up and let dry/sort/label or whatever then store away. My fossils are also stored near my dehumidifier in my basement which runs 24/7. Dry fossils are happy fossils lol 

hope that helps :) 

Al

• I found this Informative 2

21 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

That looks like the springy/snaggy stuff... I'll get a pic of what I've got and post it soon for comparison.

Not at all not had a problem as yet but photos can be deceiving. This stuff is about 3mm think . 

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Not at all not had a problem as yet but photos can be deceiving. This stuff is about 3mm think . 

Maybe your photos are more magnified than I thought - that sounds like the stuff on the right, it's about that thickness.

Yes it is called batting. My wife makes quilts and I have become familiar with different types. So you probably want the thinner all cotton stuff which will be denser. You can buy it by the yard at fabric shops or order pre cut sizes. 

There is a spray glue made for it as well. It is good in that it is meant to wash out after the quilt is finished. And for us that means you could clean up with soap and water. Most other spray glues would require acetone.

19 hours ago, erose said:

Yes it is called batting. My wife makes quilts and I have become familiar with different types. So you probably want the thinner all cotton stuff which will be denser. You can buy it by the yard at fabric shops or order pre cut sizes.

There is a spray glue made for it as well. It is good in that it is meant to wash out after the quilt is finished. And for us that means you could clean up with soap and water. Most other spray glues would require acetone.

Are the spray glues inert over long periods? If so, that sounds like the way to go for lining drawers with this cotton batting.

3 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Are the spray glues inert over long periods? If so, that sounds like the way to go for lining drawers with this cotton batting.

Hi Eric I have had some fillings cabinets with spay glue down felt for over 2 years without a problem. I use 3m photo mount is the strongest adhesive in their range. Also as an artist this is always the choice. Cheers Bobby 

• I found this Informative 3

8 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Honestly I don't know.  We only used it once for a small quilt.  You could probably go to a quilting supplier and get more info.  

4 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi Eric I have had some fillings cabinets with spay glue down felt for over 2 years without a problem. I use 3m photo mount is the strongest adhesive in their range. Also as an artist this is always the choice. Cheers Bobby 

I'm a designer and fabricator and I have used just about every type of spray glue made. When 3M spray 77 came out in the late 70's it was only available for a few years before it was pulled due to being dangerous to use.  They eventually brought it back with a "safer" formula.  

• I found this Informative 1

Well hopefully that safer formula is good not only for human health but for fossil health.