removing limestone from fossils

grg1109

acid is the one-word answer, but it is much more complex than that.  Using acid is not simple, and there is a good chance it can be done with physical tools rather than chemicals.  Can you show us a photo of the fossil in question?  Oh, yeah... to use acid, the fossil has to be acid-resistant.

• I found this Informative 1

It's filled with small brachiopods, bryozoans, ect.  I have many more pieces.  I doubt they are acid resistant.  I've tried Muriatic Acid and wind up with a bowl full of slush.

Fossil layer 2.jpg

Thanks

Greg

Air abrasion, or a weaker acid might work. 

Try some vinegar. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The best way to remove them is with an air stylus. You can abrade them first to ascertain their position. If you don't have those tools, then all that's left is to slug away at the stone with a hammer and a well-placed chisel. You can reckon with some breakage using that method.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

OK Thanks

I'm trying 1 cup of full strength vinegar

1/2 cup vinegar + 1/2 cup water

1/4 cup vinegar + 3/4 cups water

Greg 

I am assuming you want to remove the individual fossils from this wonderful hashplate. You can tell, I prefer that the hash plate be left  as is and only attack it with a mild acid rinse to clean the surface a bit. IF you want individual fossils extracted, and do NOT have air abrasion, I would break the hash plate down into smaller pieces to begin with. It looks shaley and I have had great luck compressing the shale lightly in a vice. Stop and evaluate as soon as you feel it give a bit. (most people will scream OUCH, don't do this). It usually causes the shale to split ALONG the fossil, not through it. If it splits along the fossil, the surface exposed is as nice as it can get. Once a side has been exposed , One can use chisels, dental pics, exacto knives, or with me, drywall screws and a small hammer  to remove most of the matrix. At this point, a light bath in a weak acid will shine up the fossil. A cheap man's way of prepping. Do keep super glue available though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Mike

22 hours ago, grg1109 said:

It's filled with small brachiopods, bryozoans, ect.  I have many more pieces.  I doubt they are acid resistant.  I've tried Muriatic Acid and wind up with a bowl full of slush.

Fossil layer 2.jpg

Thanks

Greg

If you use vinegar you'll end up with a bowl of slush too, just probably at a slower rate.

https://www.amazon.com/MicroLux-Grit-Blaster/dp/B07DF5LZNH

I have not seen this Grit Blaster, but I have worked with a bunch of different air abrasive set-ups.  My thoughts on just seeing this one is... 

1) The handpiece is outside of the box, and so are the user's hands.  This is very limiting.  When I sandblast, esp small stuff, I move the pieces all over the place as well as the handpiece to get the best performance. 

2) I bet that the plastic lid will get foggy after a while from powder floating aorund in there and micro-abrading it. I have seen plexiglass covers do this.  

3) the nozzle in the photo looks huge.  Not good for detail work, but it does say that it comes with three nozzle ports, whatever that is.  

But for only 300 bucks... it maybe worthwhile.  

I had the same thoughts.  All the fossils that I would like to have done are small...so they will fit in the container...but, the lack of mobility is somewhat of a question.  Working with Limestone (for me) is not the easiest process.  Having just begun fossil hunting I have a few that I would like to be prepped.  But, I can't afford the quote for prepping a Trilobite that I would like done forget the others.  For the amount of the estimate I could get started with purchasing equipment.  The downside is that I think my days of fossil hunting are coming to an end because of health issues.  I've offered the Trilobite to someone without charge with the exception that I would like a copy of it after it's prepped...but they declined.  It's supposed to be a rare one.  So I'm sort of stuck.  I wish I could find an abrading "outfit" that was between this one and the others that I've seen that are thousands of dollars(I think they're for professionals).

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Greg

I've found this one...what do you think?  It sounds like its an all in one device.  I emailed them as to pressure regulation as it doesn't say anything about it.  It's small and affordable.  Another concern I have is that the minimum tip size is 26.  Any other questions I should ask?

www.vaniman.com/product/vanicab-80403/

Just heard back from Vaniman...it only uses a fan and filter...so, I'll keep looking.

Thanks

Greg