Bison or cow tooth?

Godofgods

4 minutes ago, Godofgods said:

Hi everyone, does anyone know if this tooth is from bison or cow?

Thanks

Hi,

You need to give us the only measurement that counts...

BisonCow.JPG.04a9cac082fc7411be3784f39d0ac233.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

7 hours ago, Godofgods said:

It measures 3,6 centimeters

You should check out this thread...  Your tooth is a lower jaw m3.  An m3 is a last tooth in the back of the jaw.  This thread clearly indicates that Bison teeth in the same position are larger in chewing surface length than equivalent cow teeth.

the "m3"  teeth in this thread are 32 mm for cow and 40 mm for Bison...

So, 36 mm = LARGE cow  or small Bison...

I might go with Bison, but we'll see what others think. @Harry Pristis@garyc  Maybe Europe has a small Bison.

image.png.e94c73d6f52e573d629aa70b0147fddf.png

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Yesterday, I was looking for this thread:

It seems to get to the point that an isolated tooth, may be the exception,  while in general, Bison was a larger beast, and has larger teeth...

8 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Yesterday, I was looking for this thread:

It seems to get to the point that an isolated tooth, may be the exception,  while in general, Bison was a larger beast, and has larger teeth...

Thank you very much for your time. Therefore,in practice, it can’t be identified with certainty and remains in doubt. In the same place there was also this other isolated tooth; can it be useful for a more precise identification?

6 hours ago, Godofgods said:

Thank you very much for your time. Therefore,in practice, it can’t be identified with certainty and remains in doubt. In the same place there was also this other isolated tooth; can it be useful for a more precise identification?

We are looking at it differently.  I am in an environment where I can take the long view, Over time, I am going to find lots of teeth that could be Bos or Bison.. Many of those can be excluded because they are obviously modern. Let's say I find 100 non modern looking teeth over the last 10 years,

45 % of them will be 40 mm and up.  I will be pretty confident in assigning these larger teeth to bison.  At a minimum 45 % will be down in the range of 30-33 mm. Once again , very confident in assigning these to Bos. The other 10 teeth will be in between 33 and 40 mm.  I do not need to be sure about those 10 teeth... 90% accurate is good enough for me.

You sound like you are in a different place. It is important to get a positive identification of isolated teeth.  A 2nd isolated tooth will not help in the identification of the 1st isolated tooth.

You are going to be out on a limb.  Watching TFF, no fossil hunter is likely to identify a small or medium sized tooth as bison.   There is just no percentage in it.