I Was Looking at Something Else! Calvert Cliffs 9/22

HemiHunter

My daughter had off from "school" Wednesday, so we took advantage of the opportunity and perfect weather to hit the cliffs for a few hours.  After several days of rough water and winds, the Bay was calm with a favorable tide and pretty empty of boat traffic as you'd expect on a weekday. Arriving around 11:00 a.m., still a few hours before low tide, we thought we had the place to ourselves.  But we soon came across the fresh boot prints of another collector who had already been through looking for the low-hanging fruit at the high tide line. A little disappointed, but undeterred, we went about our searching business knowing we would just have to work a little bit harder. The receding tide was dropping off some decent hemis, here and there, with the occasional tiger thrown in, but nothing huge. Rolling over clay chunks finally paid off, though, with a beautiful mako (or c. hastalis?) which was pristine and looked like it just came out of the cliffs.  As we continued on, we picked away here and there in the wash zone, but found nothing else remarkable. Kind of at the end of the beach, I told my daughter we needed to wade over to one last little area that is usually hard to get to, but where I've found a few great teeth before...

• I found this Informative 3

That was the last good find of the trip, as we were out of time, but we both felt good about sticking with our plan and, ultimately, having success.  Here's the pretty mako and a pic with our better teeth back at home base.  All in all, it was another great father-daughter bonding trip (no little brothers!) and a fantastic day to be in the great outdoors.  Enjoy the pics!

20200923_121223.jpg

20200923_221733.jpg

• I found this Informative 14

Awesome! That’s a nice bigger tooth and the smaller pristine one is great too—I love the ones with lighter roots. That’s a nice looking lower Hemi on the bottom left as well. I find plenty of Hemis but very few of those lower teeth.

I was out there on Wednesday too but a bit later so now I know where all the good teeth went. :ighappy:

I found the vert below during my hunt, which I was pretty happy about (the body is about 1.75” at its widest and is one of the largest I’ve found so far) until a few minutes later when someone else pulled a huge whale vert out of the water not 15 feet away from me that must have been 4-5 inches in diameter. :DOH:

304AF651-1E90-4EB2-A240-6316538CAE87.thumb.jpeg.05df4d0104bd6c01049729efc34b9bc8.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Thats a great chocolate mako with the light root! Great finds!

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Thanks for sharing your excellent finds and your outing. You and your daughter are making outstanding memories together.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Thanks for the report and for having the foresight to snap some photos in situ (and through the waves) of your find.

Cheers.

-Ken

5 hours ago, bthemoose said:

I found the vert below during my hunt,

2 hours ago, sharkdoctor said:

That looks to be a cervical vertebra...A great find on any trip!

Thanks guys.  I actually found a whale vert that looks a lot like the one @bthemoose has in a fall pile a few weeks back (but never posted it), although mine is a little bigger--a little over 3" across its face.  On account of its good condition, it's one of my favorite finds.  (My 11-year old says it would make a great "war hammer.")

20200925_113302.jpg

• I found this Informative 3