Indiana Brachiopod ID

Mioplosus_Lover24

Here's a sweet Brachiopod I found yesterday, it's quite interesting and I've only found one other like it, I am unfamiliar with the specific species but I am very interested if anyone could tell me more about it!

120072058_1040019296445951_9127144128517655627_n.jpg

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

Looks like a spiriferid brachiopod of some sort. 

Age/formation/area found would be helpful. 

Also looks like chert, as well.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Looks like a spiriferid brachiopod of some sort. 

Age/formation/area found would be helpful. 

Also looks like chert, as well.

2 hours ago, JimB88 said:

Do you know which formation it came from or a general age or location? That info would be needed to id it.

No idea on formation or anything like that, found it splitting rocks in my rock pit

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

My guess would be devonian? the rock looks to be metamorphic and has areas of chert. 

Well, it is not metamorphic or the fossil would no longer be that well preserved.  The rock looks a little rounded, like it could be a glacial erratic.  Is your rock pit in glacial till?  If so, assigning an age and therefore an ID is going to be that much harder.  Would probably also need to see the hinge area in order to help with an ID any further than what has been suggested.  looks like a nice one, though, maybe you can expose it a bit more.

The large fold and sulcus suggest one of the punctospirifer or neospirifer species but like the others said the age would be the tell.