Kane

Tiny Triarthrus rougensis. The middle piece will also be a flip job, and there is the possibility that more were swept in what was likely a tidal sorting. The third one is buried, but seemingly complete. The first one is just a cranidium, but the size gave me pause to keep it to investigate if it may be a different species of Triarthrus. I'm leaning toward T. beckii, but the poor preservation and fragmentary nature of the specimen makes it a bit challenging to suss out the diagnostic details that would distinguish it from its cousins.

IMG_8522.JPG

IMG_8526.JPG

IMG_8528.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

A few other odds and ends, including bivalves and crinoids. The second piece shows some promise (possibly a Cincinnaticrinus with something above it). The last piece will be a delight to prep to reveal the pinnules.

IMG_8525.JPG

IMG_8531.JPG

IMG_8533.JPG

IMG_8540.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

13 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

And these are just the things you're allowed to show???

That's correct. All of the specimens shown are from known spots. 

• I found this Informative 2

I don't know where to begin. 

Wow, what a trip and thanks for sharing all these breathtaking photos. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just playing around in the prep lab a bit.

The Ceraurus is/was coming along, but I've hit a prep wall as there is a very hard crust that abrasion can't touch. The bug is pretty small, so unless I had a Microjack 2, I'm not quite sure where I'll go from here. At least so far one genal and both pygidial spines are here, and I have no reason to doubt the other genal won't also appear once I can manage this tough crust problem.

IMG_8492.JPGIMG_8547.JPG

I've never seriously prepared a crinoid before, and certainly my more local Devonian material outside of Arkona rarely provide me with intact specimens. But there is a lot going on in this jumble of Ectenocrinus, and likely much more work to do:

fullsizeoutput_7b4.jpegfullsizeoutput_7af.jpeg

• I found this Informative 10

14 minutes ago, Kane said:

Just playing around in the prep lab a bit.

The Ceraurus is/was coming along, but I've hit a prep wall as there is a very hard crust that abrasion can't touch. The bug is pretty small, so unless I had a Microjack 2, I'm not quite sure where I'll go from here. At least so far one genal and both pygidial spines are here, and I have no reason to doubt the other genal won't also appear once I can manage this tough crust problem.

IMG_8492.JPGIMG_8547.JPG

image.png.957d505f50c1f6ccf615e28a2bea0dd3.png

happy0144.gifhappy0144.gifhappy0144.gif

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

On 9/25/2020 at 12:25 PM, Kane said:

I'm just easing back to regular life after a week of fossil collecting in the province of Quebec. We had a fantastic and highly productive time. There are a number of sites that I cannot mention publicly, and also some excellent specimens that I am sworn not to post anywhere, but I can show a few things. I haven't photographed everything yet, either. We collected mostly in the Neuville and Nicolet Formations.

The first stop was Kingston, Ontario where we met up with a fellow fossil friend for a brief time. I obtained my own physical copy of Isotalo's book. I then meandered to a rock pile and spotted what would be the first of many trilobites on this trip, a battered Raymondites superbus in the Gull River Formation.

IMG_8287.JPG

IMG_8470.JPG

Awesome finds!  I was just up near Kingston a while ago But didn’t know there where trilobites, and I’m going to have to take a trip out to Quebec again.

Great trip , and great report ! , all very timely also , just before the weather turned and lockdown kicked in again ( just as the Montreal club was about to re open ! so my prep backlog is going to take a hit again ) . The friends from  the Ottawa club managed to slip in a visit to the Nicollet fm last saturday too . Went to meet them , it will probably be the only opportunity to do so this year ! As for Anticosti , between COVID restrictions and preservation projects , I fear this place will be off limits  for collectors from now on ...

7 minutes ago, taj said:

Great trip , and great report ! , all very timely also , just before the weather turned and lockdown kicked in again ( just as the Montreal club was about to re open ! so my prep backlog is going to take a hit again ) . The friends from  the Ottawa club managed to slip in a visit to the Nicollet fm last saturday too . Went to meet them , it will probably be the only opportunity to do so this year ! As for Anticosti , between COVID restrictions and preservation projects , I fear this place will be off limits  for collectors from now on ...

I wanted to move up the trip because I had a feeling the Covid cases would see a return to restrictions in PQ, and it looks like I was right! The bad news is that the La Prairie site no longer permits collectors, and it won't be long until the developers completely bury the site under houses.:( 

16 minutes ago, Kane said:

The bad news is that the La Prairie site no longer permits collectors, and it won't be long until the developers completely bury the site under houses.:( 

Well doesn't that just suck.

Don

We were asked to leave and told in no uncertain terms that the property is now off limits, so any attempt would be trespassing now. The new owner is quite firm on this. :(