Kane

I'm just easing back to regular life after a week of fossil collecting in the province of Quebec. We had a fantastic and highly productive time. There are a number of sites that I cannot mention publicly, and also some excellent specimens that I am sworn not to post anywhere, but I can show a few things. I haven't photographed everything yet, either. We collected mostly in the Neuville and Nicolet Formations.

The first stop was Kingston, Ontario where we met up with a fellow fossil friend for a brief time. I obtained my own physical copy of Isotalo's book. I then meandered to a rock pile and spotted what would be the first of many trilobites on this trip, a battered Raymondites superbus in the Gull River Formation.

IMG_8287.JPG

IMG_8470.JPG

• I found this Informative 8

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Our first stop in Quebec was Montreal to drop in to visit Mario who curates the collection of the Musée de paléontologie et de l'évolution de Montréal. There are at least 70,000 specimens catalogued, representing the collections of many of the great collectors of Quebec and Ontario, some of those collectors having passed to the proverbial quarries above. Mario has given me permission to show off some of the specimens they hold. 

The "warehouse" where they are currently stored is a busy and happening place, filled with specimen cabinets, literature, replicas, and tons of fossils.

IMG_8352.JPG

IMG_8353.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

A few more pics of the place, including a replica of the largest trilobite, Isotelus rex.

IMG_8304.JPG

IMG_8305.JPG

IMG_8308.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

These are photos of the teaching collection. Mostly common materials that were used for instructional purposes.

IMG_8309.JPG

IMG_8311.JPG

IMG_8312.JPG

IMG_8313.JPG

IMG_8314.JPG

IMG_8315.JPG

IMG_8316.JPG

IMG_8317.JPG

IMG_8318.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

Please check my pockets before I leave! Also included in this batch is an exceptionally rare Cybeloides, as well as a natural association of Failleana determinata and Ceraurinella trentonensis.

IMG_8325.JPG

IMG_8330.JPG

IMG_8331.JPG

IMG_8333.JPG

IMG_8334.JPG

Included here is the ultra-rare (up north) Anataphrus sinclairi, and I'm balancing a multi-plate of Flexicalymene senaria, as well as holding a 27.5 cm long Isotelus latus.

IMG_8369.JPG

IMG_8371.JPG

IMG_8373.JPG

IMG_8378.JPG

IMG_8390.JPG

• I found this Informative 10

More trilobites... I have several more photos of the trilobites, but I should move on to some of the echinoderms, carpoids, etc.

IMG_8386.JPG

IMG_8388.JPG

IMG_8389.JPG

IMG_8426.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Starfish, Pleurocystites plate, more drawers, a sponge, and a well preserved carpoid.

IMG_8346.JPG

IMG_8347.JPG

IMG_8402.JPG

IMG_8403.JPG

IMG_8405.JPG

IMG_8441.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

Good lord, I'm only on my lunch break so I dont have enough time to appreciate all these amazing trilos right now. Looks like an amazing place to stop and check out!

Of course, leading with all this eye candy of the very best of many collections means a bit of a letdown as I proceed to a few finds. We started around the Quebec City area.

A few conularids, Cryptolithus tesselatus, carpoid plate. This is all Neuville Formation. Some of the layers are just packed with Flexicalymene and Ceraurus hash.

IMG_8446.JPG

IMG_8458.JPG

IMG_8461.JPG

IMG_8462.JPG

IMG_8490.JPG

Just a few of the Ceraurus we pulled out. These buried ones are very likely to be complete and will come out 3D once prepped.

IMG_8489.JPG

IMG_8491.JPG

IMG_8492.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

Gravicalymene from the Nicolet Fm that is half buried, a lot of bivalves, some Isotelus bits. I'll have to go through all my flats and retake some photos.

IMG_8495.JPG

IMG_8496.JPG

IMG_8500.JPG

IMG_8501.JPG

IMG_8502.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

And finally crinoids, and one of a number of Flexicalymene senaria. The small crinoids are Cincinnaticrinus. I have several complete crinoids not yet photographed. This is about all I can safely show for now, but there are a few others I can photograph later. In all, I came home with several complete trilobites and plenty of crinoid material, amongst other neat items.  

IMG_8485.JPG

IMG_8487.JPG

IMG_8488.JPG

fullsizeoutput_711.jpeg

• I found this Informative 10

Sounds like an epic journey.  Congratulations on your discoveries!

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

:drool: :drool: :drool:  Congrats on a spectacular trip!

Bathyurus superbus was not assigned a subgeneric rank (Raymondites) 

Swisher, R.E., Westrop, S.R., Amati, L. 2015. The Upper Ordovician Trilobite Raymondites Sinclair, 1944 in North America. Journal of Paleontology, 89(1):110-134  PDF LINK

1 hour ago, Kane said:

IMG_8426.JPG

I will take one of everything to go please! ...including the mythical giant Anticosti calymenid: Diacalymene schucherti happy0144.gif

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png