Interesting display idea?

BellamyBlake

I'm getting some larger Moroccan fossils, for instance a 4" Spinosaur and 3" Carcharodontosaurus. I thought it would be nice to construct special plinths for them to resemble the Moroccan desert wherein they were found; a photograph of one such plinth is attached, and each of those teeth will have their own. I'm less sure, however, how I would mount them. I could simply lay them down on the plinths, but I'd like to do something more interesting.

Certainly I would appreciate any ideas on how I could mount those teeth in relatively low profile ways, though means that nevertheless keep the fossil secure. If it helps, each plinth is around 6" and I've already ruled out those acrylic book stand types because they look too dense and I'd like a more delicate looking display that won't interfere too much with the view of the fossils.

20200919_213618.jpg

2 hours ago, BellamyBlake said:

to resemble the Moroccan desert wherein they were found

Good idea!

2 hours ago, BellamyBlake said:

I could simply lay them down on the plinths

These things look rather abrasive (with some destruction potential to the fossils) and big and clunky (at least at the moment, but maybe you will cut them down somewhat). But this all depends on the fossils and their showiness!

What about some kind of sand, peppered with some small rocks/stones? Yes, this could be a mess, but maybe something to consider? Maybe such a mixture could be also used for "mounting" the fossils at the same time?

A friend has arranged some rudists in a somewhat similar way, but only to take some pics:

Arrangement.thumb.jpg.68a4709aefff31195c392c87ae26ac86.jpg

I like the outcome very much, but I have never seen this setup in person.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 2

2 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Good idea!

These things look rather abrasive (with some destruction potential to the fossils) and big and clunky (at least at the moment, but maybe you will cut them down somewhat). But this all depends on the fossils and their showiness!

What about some kind of sand, peppered with some small rocks/stones? Yes, this could be a mess, but maybe something to consider? Maybe such a mixture could be also used for "mounting" the fossils at the same time?

A friend has arranged some rudists in a somewhat similar way, but only to take some pics:

Arrangement.thumb.jpg.68a4709aefff31195c392c87ae26ac86.jpg

I like the outcome very much, but I have never seen this setup in person.

Franz Bernhard

Thanks for the idea! I think I can either replace the sea salt I used for this with some finer sand, or simply file it down to remove the abrasiveness. I do like the way that the display in your photograph looks - manipulating the environment already there to "mount" or display the item. It'll take some more thought on my part I reckon, but no matter what, I'd like the material I use to be stuck to the plinth via an adhesive like glue so that it doesn't make a mess.

• I found this Informative 1

Hi Blake

Your plinth looks good, still:

although salt is softer than most stones and thus not as "dangerous" mechanically, it can be quite damaging when it draws humidity.

I would not recommend keeping your precious fossils on salt.

Here is my idea: skulpt a little landscape from clay (no matter if real or synthetic), cover it with wrapping foil and press your fossil into it through the foil. Thus you dont get clay on your fossils. then cut away the foil around the fossil, cover the clay with sand and little rocks (not salt) as long as it is soft. That way you get a sandstonish Base with an impression your fossil fits into snugly. You can ad a drop of hot glue or some other easily removable glue if you like.

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

I learn stuff every day here.  Plinth... vocabulary word of the day. 

I have not done this, but I have done similar things for shipping. You could make a plinth with fine sand and some sort of glue, be it Emler's or Paraloid, Vinac etc.  Choose a container to use, the trick being the shape will be the shape of your plinth.  Put sand in said container and add glue.  Before the stuff sets, place the fossil where you want it.... BUT before you do that, wrap it in plastic film so it does not get glued in place.  When it all sets, remove fossil, remove plastic coating, replace fossils.  You could even put a wee bit of thin foam in there to protect the fossil from the plinth. 

Teachers be proud, I used my vocabulary word three times.    

23 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Hi Blake

Your plinth looks good, still:

although salt is softer than most stones and thus not as "dangerous" mechanically, it can be quite damaging when it draws humidity.

I would not recommend keeping your precious fossils on salt.

Here is my idea: skulpt a little landscape from clay (no matter if real or synthetic), cover it with wrapping foil and press your fossil into it through the foil. Thus you dont get clay on your fossils. then cut away the foil around the fossil, cover the clay with sand and little rocks (not salt) as long as it is soft. That way you get a sandstonish Base with an impression your fossil fits into snugly. You can ad a drop of hot glue or some other easily removable glue if you like.

Best Regards,

J

22 hours ago, jpc said:

I learn stuff every day here.  Plinth... vocabulary word of the day. 

I have not done this, but I have done similar things for shipping. You could make a plinth with fine sand and some sort of glue, be it Emler's or Paraloid, Vinac etc.  Choose a container to use, the trick being the shape will be the shape of your plinth.  Put sand in said container and add glue.  Before the stuff sets, place the fossil where you want it.... BUT before you do that, wrap it in plastic film so it does not get glued in place.  When it all sets, remove fossil, remove plastic coating, replace fossils.  You could even put a wee bit of thin foam in there to protect the fossil from the plinth. 

Teachers be proud, I used my vocabulary word three times.    

These are both wonderful ideas! Thank you both for suggesting these ways to attractively display my fossils without damaging them, I may well try both and see what works best :D