Are these real?

RickCulleton

I have been traveling to Mexico City for decades and have brought back some pretty incredible stuff. I met a kid who sold me some fossils over the last year or two. There was a stingray, a seahorse, and some other interesting stuff. Then a couple of weeks ago he sold me this. I attached the picture of my friend holding it for scale. He told me it was a juvenile Trex. I was skeptical. "How do I know it is real?" I asked. He replied "Because you can't light it on fire. It isn't paste".

Not only do I doubt this is real but I now question all the others I have bought in the past. Can anyone tell me how I can be certain this is a fake?  I appreciate everyone's time. And thanks for putting up with a newby.

Rick

1599949040703-f967ea66-f48d-4f49-a7c6-15d00d4f6d77_.thumb.jpg.2e67a4d3f18188eac22c78c47d0dd239.jpg

IMG_20200912_095531.jpg

Deja-vu!

Hopefully you didn't pay too much for it. On the positive side, at least it's an interesting conversation piece. :) 

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Yeah, it has been discussed before. I don't believe for a second this is real. If this was real it would be world news. There are just a few scraps of juvenile Tyrannosaurs. A specimen like this would be massive for the scientific understanding of Tyrannosaurs.

While the anatomy is pretty good and not too perfect like some fakes, it's still much too perfect. It's nicely articulated for the most part, but we only see the left limbs, which is odd. Besides the indent on the skull where the layers of the rock change the whole thing looks very flat and looks glued on to an otherwise flat piece of rock. It also looks wrong for a T. rex fossil. To my knowledge there aren't really flattened fossils like this in areas where T.rex is found. This looks more like the typical Chinese fake fossils we see of birds and turtles. And I do think it's likely that the "bone" is made of a type of paste that was pasted onto the rock and shaped so it looks bones.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Yep this is definitely fake sorry to say. I'd be interested in seeing some of the other fossils, stingrays and fish are much more common and less likely to be faked than a t-rex.

Also, there is no variation. The entire thing looks like it is one color, one consistency, like it is all cast from the same material.  A real fossil would have teeth that are either enameled or stained or denser than the bone. Same with claws. Find any real raptor claw and raptor tooth and look at how different they are than the bone.  

I think it was done the same way these turtles were:

It would have fetched upwards of a million US dollars if it was real.

Post photos of the stingray and seahorse and any others you would like verified. We'll be happy to help.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Unfortunately it is false.  I also asked for the same piece a while ago and multiple forum members confirmed it.  I think it is ceramic.  I found out that there are several natural clays that once baked turn pink to ocher in color, and the skeleton may have been painted with opaque enamel.