Wow what a great trip, plus an opportunity to meet with another great TFF member @fossil nerd .  You came home with quite a variety of quality fossils of the Ohio Valley.  I'm definitely :envy:   Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with us in this excellent report!

• I found this Informative 1

37 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Wow what a great trip, plus an opportunity to meet with another great TFF member @fossil nerd .

Wish you were there with us! One day my friend...One day... :) 

@Jeffrey P

Excellent finish to your report! You made many more stops than the one day with me (some of which we discussed). Looks like a most productive trip. I especially like the plant material. It's on my bucket list to get out east to one of the Pennsylvanian sites and have a look myself. I saw the Calamites first hand, and while not 3D, I thought it was a nice find.

Congrats on the great trip and finds. Thanks again for letting me be a part of the fun! :D 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

THIS is the trip report I've been waiting for!! 

We tried to make you jealous with the finds and research we did in NJ while you were gone but you decided to make me jealous instead!

Congrats on your finds, this is truly amazing stuff Jeff!! Hope you had a great trip :)

Wow... I just went on a great trip into the Paleozoic of Back east.  Thanks for this great report.  Looks like a great trip. 

Look at all those blasted blastoids.  

Great report, thanks!  I have been to numerous of those sites, but I see several that you visited that I must put on my radar. 

On 9/26/2020 at 6:04 PM, jcbshark said:

Nice finds and pics Jeffrey :thumbsu:

Glad you appreciate them. Thank you.

On 9/26/2020 at 6:20 PM, minnbuckeye said:

Great acquisitions!! Nice collection of bivalves. I still am amazed at the trilobites from St Leon. I am ALWAYS skunked when I visit. 

Mike

Thanks Mike. Glad you appreciate the bivalves. I certainly do. Keep trying at St. Leon and think very small. I'm sure you'll eventually get lucky there. 

On 9/26/2020 at 6:42 PM, erose said:

The bug in the middle is odd.  Is it a buried pygidium?  

Thank you for noticing. It doesn't appear to be a Flexi, but what? I'll try to get a picture of it and see if I can get it identified. 

On 9/26/2020 at 7:24 PM, connorp said:

I believe this site is the Big Clifty Formation. Most of it is unfossiliferous, except for the Indian Springs Shale Member around ~2/3 of the way up which is where most of your finds look like they came from. The shale layer is thin but there's a lot of lateral ground to cover. Great trip report :thumbsu:

Thank you. I'm sure I'll be returning there someday. 

On 9/26/2020 at 7:29 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Love all the yummy brachiopods. :b_love1::brachiopod:

The other stuff is pretty nice too! 

Thanks Adam. I was thinking how much you'd love these places. St. Leon IS the best brachiopod site I've ever visited and it was definitely a brachiopod day at Tunnel Mill. 

On 9/26/2020 at 9:15 PM, Nimravis said:

Great report and nice finds.

Thank you. Our trips have covered some of the same ground. 

On 9/27/2020 at 10:34 AM, FossilNerd said:

I was extremely happy! Not bad for my first time at the site. :)

You had some wonderful finds to be happy about as well! The large blastoid, calyx with arms, and the one with a spike were very, very nice! I think the calyx with partial arms may have been the find of the day! The two rarly found gastropods were great finds as well. 

Thanks for being my excuse to get out and hunt! It was a pleasure, and we will have to do it again the next time you are down this way! :D 

I echo your sediments. A great day of collecting and I really enjoyed your company. Congratulations again on your finds. Till our next time, next year. 

On 9/27/2020 at 1:13 PM, Ludwigia said:

Hopefully you weren't going the wrong way on the AA :P Great report with a good selection of fauna. It's also nice to see Herb and Wayne in living color. Thanks for sharing all of this.

I didn't get to check out all of the dozens of outcrops on the southbound side of the road. Who knows what treasures I missed. Thanks for your appreciation, Roger. 

On 9/26/2020 at 6:20 PM, minnbuckeye said:

Great acquisitions!! Nice collection of bivalves. I still am amazed at the trilobites from St Leon. I am ALWAYS skunked when I visit. 

Mike

As I'm sure you know, the only way to find those tiny trilobites is on your hands and knees, with your nose within a foot of the ground.  You can't be rushed either.  Sometimes I'll just lay down on my belly and rotate around in a circle.  I understand your frustration, though.  I have been to St Leon 4 or 5 times and I've yet to find a crinoid calyx.

Don

On 9/27/2020 at 5:38 PM, grandpa said:

Wow what a great trip, plus an opportunity to meet with another great TFF member @fossil nerd .  You came home with quite a variety of quality fossils of the Ohio Valley.  I'm definitely :envy:   Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with us in this excellent report!

You're more than welcome. Glad you appreciate my report. Seeing Herb again and meeting Wayne (Fossil nerd) were definitely highlights for me. 

On 9/28/2020 at 10:12 AM, marguy said:

Great report, faunal diversity,  thanks for sharing!

Thank you and you're welcome. 

On 9/28/2020 at 10:50 AM, frankh8147 said:

THIS is the trip report I've been waiting for!! 

We tried to make you jealous with the finds and research we did in NJ while you were gone but you decided to make me jealous instead!

Congrats on your finds, this is truly amazing stuff Jeff!! Hope you had a great trip :)

Thanks Frank. I find it enjoyable to check out sites in another area. The Ohio Valley is becoming like a second home, but I'll be collecting back in New Jersey before you know it. 

On 9/28/2020 at 12:56 PM, sharkdoctor said:

Spectacular report! Awesome photos. Really made me homesick (I grew up in KY limestone country)!

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed my report.

On 9/28/2020 at 2:44 PM, jpc said:

Wow... I just went on a great trip into the Paleozoic of Back east.  Thanks for this great report.  Looks like a great trip. 

Look at all those blasted blastoids.  

Glad you enjoyed the ride. I more than doubled my collection of blastoids on this trip and found by far my largest example. Three of those sites were definitely blastoid heaven. 

On 9/28/2020 at 8:34 PM, traveltip1 said:

That's a really fantastic trip.

Thank you. It was. Too bad we didn't connect in Indiana as we did cover some of the same ground. Thanks again for the gifts you left me. I broke open the geode. The inside was very cool. 

On 10/1/2020 at 3:32 PM, ClearLake said:

Great report, thanks!  I have been to numerous of those sites, but I see several that you visited that I must put on my radar. 

Thanks. I hope you get to those sites you haven't been to.