butchndad

A little rain on the drive down didn’t discourage me after not being able to go last week  with the Grateful Dead blasting I made it there in 45 minutes. I tried yet two more new places to access the Brook but neither seemed promising so back to my standby entrance. 5 hours in the Brook and I only saw one person, Gabriel who was the one who inspired me to truck out the glass, metal and plastic I came across. I intended to do a little exploring but wound up in an old familiar spot for the whole time (will roam next time). More quantity than quality with the Crows leading the way as usual with Sand Tiger, Goblin and Mackerel as well as Brachyrhizodus, Pycnodont, Enchodus, Belemnite, Agerostera and some that’s likely a rock but I posted for ID. The only bummer was thinking about the impending winter

474CFA4F-CC0B-421E-BE3C-3F149CF3D011.thumb.jpeg.11dd97883d5b35bdee0b35764ffa88c2.jpeg

06E686DD-FE94-493F-88E2-3F5EEB83E34C.thumb.jpeg.f08256aea583bf5a03b18b07eb17c43e.jpeg

1314D42A-227C-404A-AA04-29F7E44729D9.thumb.jpeg.6a9dbe424deecce91e93dd9911b87847.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

Nice assortment of finds. Looks like you might have a Heteromorphic ammonite chunk on the right side of your first picture. Some of the squali's are also pretty nice.

Edit: The thing I referenced might just be a gastropod.

: )

Looks like a great trip, one of the reasons I want to visit big brook. Unfortunately it’s quite far from from Colorado

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

11 hours ago, Trevor said:

Nice assortment of finds. Looks like you might have a Heteromorphic ammonite chunk on the right side of your first picture. Some of the squali's are also pretty nice.

Edit: The thing I referenced might just be a gastropod.

I agree with gastropod steinkern. That's a great haul for 5 hours in the brook.

• I found this Informative 1

Nice assortment of teeth 

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

10 hours ago, Bob-ay said:

nice haul! curious do you surface hunt or sift in that area?

i'm a sifter figuring that more people surface hunt than sift so the odds are a little better.  I have yet to find a shark tooth on the gravel banks although i have picked up old bottles and modern bone.  Plus i still get a kick out of dressing up in the "sharking" (as my wife calls it) outfit: waders, garbage back attached to the top, my old nylon wind breaker with pockets, and hat on backwards to keep my hair off my face, and of course my trusty pan & trowel.  How about you?

11 hours ago, butchndad said:

i'm a sifter figuring that more people surface hunt than sift so the odds are a little better.  I have yet to find a shark tooth on the gravel banks although i have picked up old bottles and modern bone.  Plus i still get a kick out of dressing up in the "sharking" (as my wife calls it) outfit: waders, garbage back attached to the top, my old nylon wind breaker with pockets, and hat on backwards to keep my hair off my face, and of course my trusty pan & trowel.  How about you?

Like to surface hunt and try and cover a lot of area if I can

Great haul! I’m a sifter, too, it’s a bit more fun for me than just surface collecting. Hoping I can get out to the brook this week, weather and college permitting. :D