Fossil Hunting Sites in CT for beginners

Will@Wesleyan

I'm new to fossil hunting, but would like to get started somewhere in Connecticut. I've been using http://www.fossilspot.com/STATES/CT.HTM as a resource to look up fossil sites, but much of those locations have little to no guidance on how to get there. Would anyone mind recommending some good (legal) sites in CT for me?

Welcome to the Forum, Will.  :) 

I've moved your topic since it is pertaining to Connecticut.   :zen:

I don't know if you've looked under the Connecticut sub-forum, but most of the answers to your questions can be found there. ;) 

TL,DR: It is very difficult to find sites in Connecticut. 

You need to research, and then go ask for permission at the sites' land owners.

The information found online  at the Fossilspot or Donald Kenney web pages are basically the same list, cobbled together from extremely old (mid to late 1800's - early 1900's) scientific papers.

Obviously, these lists are, for the most part, no longer accurate. Time, progress and construction have all taken their toll on fossil collecting in Connecticut. 

Sorry, but that is the sad reality for most states these days. :( 

Best of luck, 

• I found this Informative 2

Hi and welcome to the Forum. Connecticut, unfortunately is one of the more difficult states to find good sites in. I've been collecting there for the past seven years (I live only 15 minutes from the border) and have had only two outings which I thought were a success. Of course my standards now are pretty high. If you're looking for some easier, productive sites, you might consider crossing the border into Upstate New York. The Hudson and Mohawk Valleys have a number of good sites and Central and Western New York are particularly rich. If you don't have your sites on dinosaur footprints you may find that collecting Paleozoic marine invertebrates including trilobites can be a very satisfying experience. 

• I found this Informative 3
10 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Hi and welcome to the Forum. Connecticut, unfortunately is one of the more difficult states to find good sites in. I've been collecting there for the past seven years (I live only 15 minutes from the border) and have had only two outings which I thought were a success. Of course my standards now are pretty high. If you're looking for some easier, productive sites, you might consider crossing the border into Upstate New York. The Hudson and Mohawk Valleys have a number of good sites and Central and Western New York are particularly rich. If you don't have your sites on dinosaur footprints you may find that collecting Paleozoic marine invertebrates including trilobites can be a very satisfying experience. 

I would be very happy to find Devonian trilobites, but I have a travel restriction of ~25 miles outside of Middletown, so as of now I am unable to go to the good New York sites. That being said, I have a low threshold for success, even if I were to find a fossilized fern I would be happy, but based off of this forum I'm not sure I'll have much success on my first few outings

Welcome to the forum, Will.  You might also want to check out these resources from FruitBat's Library which is found in the Documents section of TFF:

Connecticut

Abrams, J. and E. Riley (2002). A Reconstruction of the Biodiversity of the Connecticut River Valley Using Fossil and Geologic History Evidence. The Taprock, Vol.1.
Colbert, E.H. (1970). Fossils of the Connecticut Valley - The Age of Dinosaurs Begins. State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut, Bulletin Number 96.
Eastman, C.R. (1911). Triassic Fishes of Connecticut. State of Connecticut Geological and Natural History Survey, Bulletin Number 18.
Eisa, N. and L. Bellard (2006). Geology, Formation and Fossils of the Connecticut Valley. The Traprock, Vol.6.

Lull, R.S. (1915). Triassic Life of the Connecticut Valley. State of Connecticut, State Geological and Natural History Survey, Bulletin Number 24.

Mortensen, K. and D. Scollan (2002). Dinosaurs and the Connecticut Valley. The Traprock, Vol.1.
Waage, K.M., C. MacClintock, and L.J. Hickey (2001). Post-glacial fossils from Long Island Sound off West Haven, Connecticut. Peabody Museum of Natural History, Postilla Number 225.

Hope this helps. :fistbump:

1 minute ago, grandpa said:

Welcome to the forum, Will.  You might also want to check out these resources from FruitBat's Library which is found in the Documents section of TFF:

Connecticut

Abrams, J. and E. Riley (2002). A Reconstruction of the Biodiversity of the Connecticut River Valley Using Fossil and Geologic History Evidence. The Taprock, Vol.1.
Colbert, E.H. (1970). Fossils of the Connecticut Valley - The Age of Dinosaurs Begins. State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut, Bulletin Number 96.
Eastman, C.R. (1911). Triassic Fishes of Connecticut. State of Connecticut Geological and Natural History Survey, Bulletin Number 18.
Eisa, N. and L. Bellard (2006). Geology, Formation and Fossils of the Connecticut Valley. The Traprock, Vol.6.

Lull, R.S. (1915). Triassic Life of the Connecticut Valley. State of Connecticut, State Geological and Natural History Survey, Bulletin Number 24.

Mortensen, K. and D. Scollan (2002). Dinosaurs and the Connecticut Valley. The Traprock, Vol.1.
Waage, K.M., C. MacClintock, and L.J. Hickey (2001). Post-glacial fossils from Long Island Sound off West Haven, Connecticut. Peabody Museum of Natural History, Postilla Number 225.

Hope this helps. :fistbump:

Thank you! Looks like I have a lot of reading to do :)