Ideas for newbies to start a fossil collection

Raptor9468

Currently I have been trying to come up with different tips and ideas for newbies and make a video out of it to teach others about fossil collection.

I would like to ask for any advice for fossil maintenance, protection, and mainly good starter choices.

I would also want to request for members to post pictures of their common fossils of all sorts, so I can make a more lively video with them.

Currently I plan to suggest Knightia, triceratops/edmontosaurus splitter and KK vert fossils,  but I would want some advice for invertebrates because I have not yet explored those animals in my collection.

I would be thankful for any help I get.

Unless they want to flat out buy fossils off the internet; people are limited to where they can travel to. I don't think there's any such thing as a "universal good starter fossil" if you're trying to collect yourself. It depends entirely on what's common in your individual area or the area you may be traveling to for collecting. Basically; do your research on what fossils are common where you live, then go try to collect some of them.

If you are satisfied with just buying things off the internet then the answer is simple. Buy whatever you like the looks of at the cheapest price you can find it.

• I found this Informative 3

Well when I seriously started collecting fossils, I first started with cheaper and commonly available fossils. 
Things like Kem Kem & Khouribga material, Elrathia kingi trilobites, Ice Age fossils from the Florida & the North Sea Beds, some cheap fishes, common shark teeth, stuff like that, just things that interest you and that you find pretty. 

Then I shifted my focus more to collect fossils from different geological time periods and tried to get a fossil from each period, so I could get a collection that is more representative of the geological timeline and the history of life on earth. 

After I managed that, I started to focus on getting better quality items and rarer fossils. Another thing I also did is focus more on certain locations, so I could build displays about a single location that shows more of that location's fauna and flora. For instance like: the Kem Kem Beds, the Khouribga phosphate mines, White River Formation, Green River Formation, Hell Creek Formation, etc...

There are multiple ways to get your collection growing, this is kinda just the way that I did it.

I found that setting a goal of where you want to take your collection works really well, my current goals are to set up a Proboscidean collection with at least 10 different species, I am also currently focussing on expanding my Cenozoïc terrestrial mammal collection (mainly the Eocene & Miocene) and to at least double my collection of Bird fossils.

Interested in all things paleontology, geology, zoology, evolution, natural history and science!
Professional exotic pet keeper, huge fantasy geek, explorer of the microfossil realm, member of the BVP (Belgian Association for Paleontology), Volunteer prepper at Oertijdmuseum Boxtel.  

View my collection topic here:

The Growing Collection of Ziggycardon
My animal collection at the "Members pet" topic

Ziggycardon's exploration of the microfossil realm

Trips to Eben Emael (Maastrichtian of Belgium)

My latest fossil hunt

Next project will be a dedicated prepping space.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

5d68d9f3c550a_153657011360380104(21).jpg.bda3d3b7ae7b8321dd0620a0c61cc459.jpg5d68da1b497f5_153657011360380104(20).jpg.8610ffc65ccaa5d057e7b52b65989cd0.jpg5d68da353dd03_153657011360380104(24).jpg.ae73afaefa6ab34e7af5f6131aed96ff.jpgsolnhofen.jpg.76dd03ba7eb39946850662021b7d8dd4.jpg166802558255587143.jpg.c38d91e9e45f17addf29c40166b797a2.jpg5d68da49ad887_153657011360380104(25).jpg.dfff987039b3c99f41e44da51f71ae91.jpg

Fossil collecting , first check your local area’s geography. If inexperienced join a local fossil collecting club or go on organised trips with a guide to show where to look and what you might find. As for purchasing fossil the only rules I know is do your homework/research  before buy , Make sure the fossil comes with a good and complete  location information, that is correct ( I think location  is the most important information). If buy rare and expensive items ask the forum for advice before buying. I prefer quality over size and nicely preserved  partial fossils to badly preserved complete specimens.  Last pay with PayPal they offer  some protection  with their product .  Buying fossils you have a massive Market place to peruse so can’t say what a good buy or a must have fossil is, sorry. Cheers Bobby 

Thanks for your input.

I myself have barely explored fossil collecting, and your advice is of great help to me and other beginners who want to get into fossil collecting