Trip Report - 9/26/2020 - Summerville, SC

FossilizedShoe

In between this trip report and the last, I have moved from Houston to Columbia, where I am studying biology at the University of South Carolina, so now I have the opportunitiy to take day trips down to Charleston and Summerville to go fossil hunting, which I am very much looking forwards to doing some more of sometime soon. I made my first trip since moving in on Saturday afternoon to a little creek in Summerville I last hit roughly two and a half months ago. You can see the fruits of that particular trip here: 

Now, I'm pretty satisfied with the results of this trip, but something important to take away from this, especially for those of you interested in hunting the Summerville area, is that I had both my younger brothers in tow for my July trip to the same creek, and even after 2.5 months and a hurricane, I'm not even getting a sixth of what we pulled out of that creek in July. I hope this illustrates to you just how slowly these Summerville creeks replenish. As has been said many times, if you're traveling to SC to find fossils, your best bet for a good experience is going to be just paying the money to go on a guided fossiling trip with a company like Charleston Fossil Adventures, Palmetto Fossil Excursions, or Charleston Outdoor Adventures.

On this trip I sifted gravel for most of the smaller teeth, and the big stuff I found looking through the gravel banks. I really like the colors on that beat up angustidens I found, and that vert is the largest shark vert I've found. I also got a nice Hemipristis lower and a nice bull shark tooth. I'm looking at heading down to Charleston in the next week or two, so expect a post about that sometime soon.

IMG_20200928_091801.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

Nice finds! Love the vert.

I'm headed to Charleston in a couple months and booked a tour for that reason. Never been and I don't want to aimlessly walk through creeks haha.

On 9/28/2020 at 10:52 AM, Clint08 said:

Nice finds! Love the vert.

I'm headed to Charleston in a couple months and booked a tour for that reason. Never been and I don't want to aimlessly walk through creeks haha.

Sounds like a great trip! Make sure you eat somewhere on Shem Creek while you're there, I reccomend Vickery's. If you've got the time, you should visit the Mace Brown Museum at CofC, they've got a great collection, including some exquisite cetecean specimens. Which tour company are you going out with?

On 9/29/2020 at 2:55 PM, FossilizedShoe said:

Sounds like a great trip! Make sure you eat somewhere on Shem Creek while you're there, I reccomend Vickery's. If you've got the time, you should visit the Mace Brown Museum at CofC, they've got a great collection, including some exquisite cetecean specimens. Which tour company are you going out with?

I just did a google search of Shem Creek and it looks like a cool place, so we will have to add that to our list. That restaurant looks super good too, always up for recommendations! We are going out with Palmetto Fossil Excursions. We had looked at a few others as well, but they have good feedback from others and I've followed them for awhile now.