Finally! Finished some Green River specimens!

LabRatKing

I still have about 30 more to finish preparing, but so far, here are the best two I have prepped from my 2019 Green River run:

IMG-4493.jpg

IMG-4494.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Posting the photos here for when the links die. 

It's always best to post photos directly to the Forum. 

Links to 3rd party hosting sites almost always go inactive. :( 

IMG-4493.jpg

IMG-4494.jpg

EDIT: PS - nice job on these. ;) 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Wow that diplomystus is great

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

@LabRatKing What do you use to prep them?

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

5 hours ago, sharkdoctor said:

Wow! The detail on the first one is spectacular. The fins are amazing! 

# of hours in prepping the first fish?

-a

This one took a total of ten hours.

So the Diplo was done by hand using only stainless steel dissection probes and then preserved with PVA.  Fresh Kemmerer stone is damp and soft as drywall, so if you aren’t in a hurry, super easy. There is an old thread on here showing a step by step. I sawed the slab to allow for addition of a brass engraved name plate as this is probably the finest vertebrate fossil I have found yet! ( This one is on the shelf of bragging in my office)

The Knightia is “as found” due to a lucky split. I used a drywall saw to square the slab and PVA mist to preserve.

5 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Posting the photos here for when the links die. 

It's always best to post photos directly to the Forum. 

Links to 3rd party hosting sites almost always go inactive. :( 

IMG-4493.jpg

IMG-4494.jpg

EDIT: PS - nice job on these. ;) 

Thanks for the repost of the photos...I’m a decade out of date on resizing.