Malta To Try To Claw Back Shark Tooth From 7 Year Old Boy

Scylla

So Sir David Attenborough finds a shark tooth in Malta in the 1960's. He gives it to a seven year old recently and now the Maltese government wants it back. Maybe they can trade for the falcon?

LINK to ARTICLE

• I found this Informative 4

Really??? For one shark tooth?  :duh2:

b970f8649341406e90e2b9766267589c-1.jpg

image.jpg

5f7236283430c.image_.jpg

Image Source

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I get the whole anti-colonialism thing, but this is not a rare, scientifically significant fossil. It’s not like Malta has an institution actively fossil collecting and studying their fossils/formations. 

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

let the kid have his tooth and try and find one of the several thousand megs in your country.

Well, it could be worse.. at least it isn't a reptile tooth (can of worms - OPENED!).

But seriously, that's just ridiculous, give the kid the tooth!

That’s ridiculous and doesn’t shine a positive light on the Maltese government, it’s not rare and to me is just petty:shakehead: I don’t get the point other than making an example which could be done in a million better ways

It doesn't even look like a particularly good example.

It was special to Sir David, who'd found it himself and would have been thrilled at the time, and now he gives it to a young boy to encourage his love of nature. 

And I absolutely guarantee that if they did get it back and put it in their museum, it would have a big label saying it was "Found by the noted naturalist Sir David Attenborough in 1964 and then given to Prince George of England before being donated to this museum."

Grrrrr!!!!!!!

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

:shakehead::Confused05:

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Don't you just love politics? Now they even try to take things from kids. :Horrified:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Excavation and removal of fossils is illegal in Malta according to the Cultural Heritage Act 2002. Prior to that there were the Antiquities (Protection) Act of 1910 and the Antiquities (Protection) Act of 1925, but I don't know whether those laws covered fossils so I'm not sure if Attenborough broke the law or not when he found the shark tooth in the late 1960s.

This ridiculous situation seems to have arisen after José Herrera, Malta's Minister for National Heritage, Arts and Local Government, was asked by the Times of Malta "whether there were plans to add the find to the nation's heritage collection." Herrera replied by stating that he would "get the ball rolling", without actually stating how he was planning to get it back.

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/ancient-shark-tooth-gifted-to-prince-could-find-its-way-back-to-malta.820687

When this was reported in local and international media, there was quite a lot of online backlash against the minister's decision in Malta. Government critics such as Matthew Caruana Galizia (son of Daphne Caruana Galizia, a journalist who was murdered in 2017) rightly pointed out that the government should make efforts to stamp out corruption rather than pursuing trivial matters like this shark tooth.

https://lovinmalta.com/lifestyle/environment/matthew-caruana-galizia-slams-useless-arts-minister-for-asking-for-royally-gifted-shark-tooth-back/

Earlier today, the culture ministry issued a statement that it will not pursue the matter further, so Prince George can keep the shark tooth.

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/prince-can-keep-ancient-shark-tooth-malta-now-decides-not-to-seek-its.820921

• I found this Informative 6

Article Today about the reversed decision. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I think its rich that Malta seemed to care so much about their natural heritage they considered taking a common fossil from a small boy when they allow the slaughter of thousands of migratory birds every year, many of which are endangered (sometimes critically so). Completely undoing conservation work throughout northern Europe. Rant over ;-)

Honestly if Sir David did it, it shouldn’t have been an issue in my mind. Call me a hypocrite, but a fellow like him that has benefited millions world wide with science, nature, and by all reports a wonderful personality should be exempt.

I mean heck, his brother founded InGen and Jurassic Park...

;)