strange little curved rock

Ramona

I think the curved part of this rock is probably just a coincidence, but since I have never seen anything like it before, I thought I would check.  Like a lot of other rocks I find, it seems to have a layer of limestone fenestellan bryozoan fossils encrusted around it (that's about the only way I know to describe it) and lots of tiny impression fossils on the inside of the rock.  Can anyone help me figure out the rock's story?  What might have caused the curved and layered appearance?  Is that just a coincidence?  Or is this a particular "thing"? Found in Madison County, Alabama.  I will post more photos in follow up comments.

Thanks!

Ramona

IMG_8356edit.jpg

IMG_8358edit.jpg

It looks like a conchoidal fracture not unlike broken glass.  This can sometimes happen to limestone with a high silicon content.  I'm not seeing the small fossil impressions.

23 minutes ago, M Harvey said:

It looks like a conchoidal fracture not unlike broken glass.  This can sometimes happen to limestone with a high silicon content.  I'm not seeing the small fossil impressions.

OK, thanks!  I will need to look that up to understand that it means, LOL!  Sorry, I guess I didn't post good enough photos of that part of the rock...  See if this helps?  Can you see the fossils here?  They are tiny bits and pieces - nothing spectacular. Upper left hand corner, a bit of fenestellan bryozoan, if I am correct, some crinoids scattered, some bits and pieces of bryozoan mish mash scattered throughout...

Ramona

IMG_8391edit.jpg

IMG_8392edit.jpg