grg1109

I've found quite a few of these and wonder if they were a bi valve?  Wondered why the shell wouldn't have fossilized like the others?  In first photo...top, right...second photo: top, center

Thanks

Greg

20200929_183845 (2).jpg

20200929_183912 (2).jpg

Brachiopods. 

Not sure quite what you mean, but the shell could have broken or been eroded away leaving a mold of the inside. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

What your arrow is pointing at to me seems like just a natural depression in the rock. However, it could be that this is indeed the cast of a shell. That is, when fossils are embedded in a rock, and we split the rock to find the fossils, the shell will typically stick to one side of the split rock, whereas a bulge or hollow, matching the shell in size, will remain on the other side. These two sides are known as the positive and negative sides of a fossil. Normally the part that contains the actual fossil is called the positive, whereas the part that shows just the impression is called the negative.

I think what you might have here, is a negative of a shell.

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Yes, I agree...This is the only shape on my rocks that appears like this...all the rest have fossilized shells...whether positive or negative... and that is why I was wondering what it could be.  May never know...just curious.

Thanks

Greg

If there were details in it, I would say it is a shell mold. 

But the picture is just too blurry when enlarged to see any detail. 

Otherwise, it could be (as stated previously) a natural depression in the rock. 

5f747d7ddb932_20200930_083646(2)_LI.jpg.8ddc7d1f90411f89bea82fbe966fe2dc.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm sorry...this was taken under the microscope and enhanced...I guess they do have details...just weren't showing up under...visual or magnified sight.  Now I really am curious...lol

Thanks

Greg

unkown (3).jpg

Don't have any experience with those kind of fossils, but looks like a bryozoan mat? Could have come off of the shell when the rest split off onto the positive...

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Sorry got interrupted, so I took a look at the others...it seems to me that they are still covered at least partially by the sediments.  They all have more details than I thought and they are not all the same...just appear to the naked eye and under a magnifier.  Here's another...that I previously thought was just a smooth lump.

Unkown 3 (2).jpg

6 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

his is the shot that has me on the lingulid kick. Looks like the edges of one remain to me

I just posted a photo of the one your mentioning.

Sorry, they all looked the same to me...now I see them differently.  The microscope definitely has its advantages over my assumptions.  These are all concave by the way.

Thanks

Greg

29 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Don't have any experience with those kind of fossils, but looks like a bryozoan mat

When under the microscope...I checked very carefully this time...the designs at the top go underneath the layer on top.

Thanks

Greg

If I look at the last picture you sent, it almost looks like it's the internal cast of one of the brachiopods...