Trevor

Group Fossil Hunt Sept./Oct. 2020

Trevor

Dear NJ fossil collectors,

Would anyone like to join me for a sifting hunt on Oct.3rd / 4th (Saturday / Sunday) at Ramanessin Brook? DM me for a time or date, I can probably go both days.

@Familyroadtrip @The Jersey Devil @frankh8147 @hokietech96 @Jeffrey P @Darktooth

@brad hinkelman @itsronni @Bob-ay @FossilizedJello @Carl @bucky @wetwilly @Neec

@ColeFossilFinder @Masp @butchndad

butchndad
2 hours ago, Trevor said:

Would anyone like to join me for a sifting hunt on Oct.3rd / 4th (Saturday / Sunday) at Ramanessin Brook? DM me for a time or date, I can probably go both days.

@Familyroadtrip @The Jersey Devil @frankh8147 @hokietech96 @Jeffrey P @Darktooth

i would love to but will be in unfossilicious Cape Cod. Hopefully another time

FossilizedJello
12 hours ago, Trevor said:

I will let you know. Good possibility!

Darktooth

I would love to meet up, but unfortunately I won't be able to go on a hunt for the next few weekends. The next few weeks are going to be busy for me. Thanks for thinking of me!:thumbsu:

Believe me when I say, I need a sharktooth fix.

brad hinkelman

thanks for the invite,cant make it this weekend though,,let us know how ya all make out.

ColeFossilFinder

Hey sorry I can't but thanks anyway...... if anyone has instagram you could follow me at @onelastsift

wetwilly

Hey Trevor. 
will you be there Sunday?

Trevor
On 10/3/2020 at 9:36 AM, wetwilly said:

Hey Trevor. 
will you be there Sunday?

Oops! I missed this. We were here today, I am about to post a trip report.

historianmichael

@Trevor I am sad that I missed this. Let me know the next time that you all collect. I would be very interested in joining next time. I was just at Ramanessin Brook.

FossilizedJello

Missed it as I started a full time job recently. Please let me know when the next happens. Thanks for the inclusion. You guys all did great and had a great haul!

Trevor
On 10/7/2020 at 12:49 PM, FossilizedJello said:

Missed it as I started a full time job recently. Please let me know when the next happens. Thanks for the inclusion. You guys all did great and had a great haul!

Thank you. I will probably post here next time I am free again.

Carl

Bummer... I'm just now seeing this. Been out of touch for a while.

butchndad

Jersey folks

important (for me at least) question:

what gloves do you wear on your hands and and socks on your feet to keep dry and warm as Big Brook gets cold?

i have some circulation problems so this is major for me - last saturday both my hands and feet were numb and it took me literally a half hour with the heater blasting in my car to get back to normal

I just today ordered alpaca socks and 26 inch natrile gloves and hope they may help

and of course i can wear a glove on my left/pan hand but not my right/trowel/pick up hand

your input appreciated

Trevor
16 hours ago, butchndad said:

Jersey folks

what gloves do you wear on your hands and and socks on your feet to keep dry and warm as Big Brook gets cold?

i have some circulation problems so this is major for me - last saturday both my hands and feet were numb and it took me literally a half hour with the heater blasting in my car to get back to normal

I just today ordered alpaca socks and 26 inch natrile gloves and hope they may help

and of course i can wear a glove on my left/pan hand but not my right/trowel/pick up hand

your input appreciated

I typically go in a bathing suit with water shoes. Only on the coldest days will I use my waders. Hip waders are the best bet. Make sure they aren't too bulky though, because in later months you'll be sweating a lot.

hokietech96
16 hours ago, butchndad said:

Jersey folks

your input appreciated

I was in the water sifting last winter multiple times a week.  I used waders.  I had layers to protect my hands.  My first layer is laytex dr office gloves.  As a runner, I learned this trick to keep your hands super warm.  It really works.  Next layer is any normal glove that you normally wear.  Last layer is thick rubber green kitchen gloves that go past my elbows.  I found them at Lowes.  Does the trick for me.  Never got my hands wet sifting and still on my original pair.  Not the most atractive outfit but who cares if your are finding fossils and are warm.  Hope this helps

butchndad
14 minutes ago, hokietech96 said:

I was in the water sifting last winter multiple times a week.  I used waders.  I had layers to protect my hands.  My first layer is laytex dr office gloves.  As a runner, I learned this trick to keep your hands super warm.  It really works.  Next layer is any normal glove that you normally wear.  Last layer is thick rubber green kitchen gloves that go past my elbows.  I found them at Lowes.  Does the trick for me.  Never got my hands wet sifting and still on my original pair.  Not the most atractive outfit but who cares if your are finding fossils and are warm.  Hope this helps

fossils and running, perfect.  tell me you love dogs and i'll marry you sight unseen!

hokietech96
25 minutes ago, butchndad said:

fossils and running, perfect.  tell me you love dogs and i'll marry you sight unseen!

haha.  I had one and only dog for 15 years.  He was a mix of chow, shiba inu, and golden retriever.  It has been 3 years and I am still not ready to get another one.