October 2020 - Finds of the Month Entries

digit

REMINDER: PLEASE carefully read ALL of the rules below.

Make sure you include all the required information, IN THE REQUESTED FORMAT (below) when you submit your fossil! 

If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM.

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: 

Before and After Preparation Photos must be submitted for prepped specimens NOT  found during the Month of the Contest.

In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds.

Entries will be taken until 11:59:00 PM EDT on OCTOBER 31, 2020

Any fossil submitted after that time, even if the topic is still open, will be deemed ineligible! 

Only entries posted with CLEAR photos and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. 

Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. 

Tell us more about your fossil, and why you think it is worthy of the honor. 

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!
Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. Find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found personally by you are allowed. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.
  2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per member per contest category.)
  3. Your fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or Significant Preparation * of your fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.
  4. You must include the Date of Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Date of Discovery (if not found in the contest month).
  5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. Please make sure you arrange for photos if someone else is preparing your fossil find and completes the prep requirements in the contest month.
  6. You must include the Common and/or Scientific Name.
  7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the fossil was found.
  8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the fossil was found.
  9. You must include CLEAR, cropped, well-lit images (maximum 4 images). If you are proud enough of your fossil to submit it for FOTM, spend some time to take good photos to show off your fossil.
  10. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

* Significant Preparation = Substantial work to reveal and/or repair important diagnostic features, resulting in a dramatic change in the look of the fossil. The qualification of Significant Preparation is decided at the discretion of staff. Any doubts as to the eligibility of the entry will be discussed directly with the entrant.

******* Please use the following format for the required information: *******

• Date of Discovery   (month, day , year) 

• Scientific and/or Common Name

• Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

• State, Province, or Region Found

• Photos of Find

(Please limit to 4 clear, cropped, and well-lit images.)

(If prepped, before and after photos are required, please.)

• 3 weeks later...

Date of Discovery : October 12, 2020

Edestus (shark)

Pennsylvanian Fort Scott Fm. (Desmoinesian) 

Roger County, Oklahoma

shark.jpg.59c5d6f951d315f64a53e0be0aa25468.jpg

• I found this Informative 25

Now there's something you don't see every day. A great way to start the month of October. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Finally something for October. Looks great

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Date of Discovery   3 Oct 2020 

Scientific and/or Common Name: unknown large bill fish

Geologic Age: Eocene

State, Province, or Region Found: South Island, New Zealand (Otago Province)

Video of me finding it: 

https://youtu.be/shCMCpE1HiA?t=390

50410013003_eebddd6ce1_k.thumb.jpg.86f5321072a988c792b364a5435c1ec7.jpg

50410029078_88694a2da9_k.thumb.jpg.7b53feacb70e8741c904bdbdd2b17f07.jpg

Below is shown a possible related piece of the skull, it was about 4m (12ft) away from the main piece.

50413958898_795a4367bd_k.thumb.jpg.bf0aa9a21f3ac11639683b78557418ba.jpg

• I found this Informative 20

Yay another entry. It looks very cool. Neat find

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

October 11, 2020

Mastodon - distal humerus

pleistocene

Brazos River, SE Texas, USA

In situ:

02E6C801-4E00-422F-A607-723A5C374D8F.thumb.jpeg.d01b60bebe6780714cac0811708f968b.jpeg 

CE2A6D91-6739-441E-9C8C-BEE40CAE96C3.jpeg  2B38A4C3-9096-4935-B601-A82CF6E60967.thumb.jpeg.8add47dc1f21bc56b56be6fd3b5ef479.jpeg

• I found this Informative 10

Great bone! That is massive. How is it displayed?

14 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Great bone! That is massive. How is it displayed?

Right now it is just leaning against the wall in my man cave/museum.

• I found this Informative 2

This is a “file” great white shark tooth I found in New Jersey. A file tooth is a tooth that is still developing and is only the shell of the enamel, without dentine or root, which makes it very fragile and much less likely to fossilize and survive in the ocean. This tooth was a beach find, so it has some wear, but besides that it’s in very nice condition!

- Date of discovery: October 3 2020

- Scientific and/or common name:   Great white shark (Carcharodon carcharias)

- Age or formation: Miocene-Pliocene deposits of New Jersey 

- State, province, or region: New Jersey

452199D2-4EC5-4BAC-864D-5D9CE6F0864E.jpeg

0E940EF0-19F1-4BEB-AA08-51CFD63686E8.jpeg  C62C4545-14E1-49B3-94C2-4032779FC3F1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

Wow great and rare find! It still has great serrations

39 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Wow great and rare find! It still has great serrations

Thank you! It’s one of my favorite personal finds!

• I found this Informative 1

Hello everyone!

This is a Clypeaster altus I found while being in a fossil hunting trip / vacations. It was within an old quarry for sand and I dug it directly from the formation. Here is a picture of the quarry. 

I prepared it only with mechanical means, therefore the mouth side is not 100%, I will wait to have the proper tools. The fossil measures 14.5cm across, 7.5cm height. Paraloid is applied on the prepared side and on a vertical crack to stabilise it. 

The link here shows the whole hunting trip. 

Date of Discovery:   (10th October 2020) 

Scientific and/or Common Name: Clypeaster altus. "Sea biscuit, urchin, sea hedgehog" 

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation: Miocene, Tortonian to Zanglean (Most possible closer to Tortonian). Paleoenvironment: Shallow coastal area.

State, Province, or Region Found: Greece, Island of Kythera, central part of the island. 

Anus side

IMG_20201024_144118.thumb.jpg.b8109fa510513e3c2e57d1fb6ae0341d.jpg

Same side, different angle. 

IMG_20201024_144143.thumb.jpg.fe5359704daa0a6c7e8b4365705e83a0.jpg

Mouth side

IMG_20201024_144211.thumb.jpg.7947d4c8280853019f7dc66ac6ae6347.jpg

Picture with scale in centimetres 

IMG_20201024_144241.thumb.jpg.7223b045eeb750bc4976f9e9267a574f.jpg

As extracted with some sandstone removed at home. 

IMG_20201010_234751.thumb.jpg.9c4a605a5b123dcaed41ce3a1a5c6ce6.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

Great find, is that big for the species? 14.5 centimeters is a really big urchin

6 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Great find, is that big for the species? 14.5 centimeters is a really big urchin

Thanks! I think it is average to big. 

I found one bigger, 15.5cm but this one has amazing detail and perfect colouration. In June I broke one that if complete, must have been 16-18cm. 

4 hours ago, Dimitris said:

Thanks! I think it is average to big. 

I found one bigger, 15.5cm but this one has amazing detail and perfect colouration. In June I broke one that if complete, must have been 16-18cm. 

Nice find and super prep work, my friend. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hello,

I searched for rudists (http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/110155-in-search-of-rudists/&tab=comments#comment-1217040 ) last Saturday and I am submitting my favorite fossil from that day: twin rudists

24 october 2020

Radiolites sauvagesii (d'HOMBRES-FIRMAS, 1837)

Turonian,  Saint-Cirq Fm.

France, Dordogne, 4km SW Les Eyzies

DSCN1225.JPG

DSCN1227.JPG

DSCN1228.JPG

DSCN1231.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

Wow beautiful specimen

Discovered the 2020/10/24

Pygocephalomorph (Notocaris tapscotti) 

Early Permian, Ecca group of the Whitehill Formation.

IMG_20201027_190216.jpg

IMG_20201027_185835.jpg

IMG_20201027_185737.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

As I said before an amazing find and I’m glad you entered it into the FOTM. This month is full of amazing specimens and it will be hard to just pick one

• Date of Discovery   October 19 2020

• Scientific and/or Common Name - Gastropod Cymatospira montfortianus

• Geologic Age or Geologic Formation - Pennsylvanian , Home Creek Limestone

• State, Province, or Region Found - Texas, USA

Size 13 mm

5f98d523b8a0a_GastropodCymatospiramontfortianusPalo(3).thumb.jpg.1e7c933d11962855c730e17eeaa1b766.jpg

5f98d52269dba_GastropodCymatospiramontfortianusPalo(2).thumb.jpg.d04ddbd3f30af3ff307c5fb2fd1b2464.jpg

5f98d5213c2f1_GastropodCymatospiramontfortianusPalo(1).thumb.jpg.620e46189e5acb835e287e1af9b743f6.jpg

• I found this Informative 7