Brazil Insects - 100% natural

Hollie Bird

Hi eveyone

I bought these fossil insects online a while ago now. Seller said they were from the crato formation in brazil. 

I would love to know peoples thoughts on them. Are these sort of insects generally 100% natural? Also how are they prepped?

Thanks 

20200930_163912.jpg

IMG-20200930-WA0002.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Yes, they seem real. 

Prepped very carefully! :)

It seems a water wash and gentle rub are used to reveal surface detail, and then pins if necessary. 

Sometimes, if they want to reveal more of the detail a 10% acetic acid or 5 to 10% hydrochloric acid solution is used, the specimens maybe transferred to resin blocks during this process. 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I find it truly amazing that something as long dead as these insects can exist today with the level of detail they show!! 

1 hour ago, Hollie Bird said:

I find it truly amazing that something as long dead as these insects can exist today with the level of detail they show!! 

Me too. It's astonishing. :b_love1:

I have looked up the prepping process for you and added it to my comment above. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

They look good to me . I also are amazed with any very delicate material that becomes fossilised. I had a couple of Christmas ago a cockroach purchased from a member here by MrsR as a gift. It also was from Brazil and quite lovely. Exporting fossil from Brazil has now stopped so they becoming more rare, I believe . Cheers Bobby 

25 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

They look good to me . I also are amazed with any very delicate material that becomes fossilised. I had a couple of Christmas ago a cockroach purchased from a member here by MrsR as a gift. Italso was from Brazil and quite lovely. Exporting fossil from Brazil has now stopped so they becoming more rare, I believe . Cheers Bobby 

It's a shame there aren't any more exports. What's so wrong with someone like me being in wonder of a common fossil which holds no great scientific value.

Although not my country, not my laws, not my business i guess.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 7:59 PM, Hollie Bird said:

It's a shame there aren't any more exports. What's so wrong with someone like me being in wonder of a common fossil which holds no great scientific value.

Although not my country, not my laws, not my business i guess.

I guess there's not much wrong in you owning and being in wonder of a common fossil like this. However, it's difficult for customs departments to judge both the authenticity and scientific value of fossils crossing their borders and this should, in fact, not be their duty. Thus, what would you rather do as a country: risk fossils of scientific value being exported illegally, or just simply place a blanket ban on the export in general? Though, often, even with a blanket ban, it is still possible to export fossils, if you get the right permits (which, then again, is frequently a hassle and may be quite costly)...

But, yeah, these are spectacular fossils! Difficult to imagine the rare taphonomic conditions needed for such preservation!

These specimens look authentic to me :)

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

It's odd to see an insect fossil in this type of matrix, that looks as though it had to be exposed by scraping it with a scalpel. Usually (as in Green River, McAbee, Liaoning, etc) the insect is exposed just by splitting the layers, with at most a little pin work to flake off some thin bits of matrix covering the margins of the insect.

Real imho - but as said fossils from Brazil are not allowed for export.

Keep in mind, that esp. with insects there's still a lot of scientific work to do from this site....