Is this a fossil?

Lassoatrain

Hi 

I found this rock a couple days ago and really didnt think it a fossil , but still in the back of my head the curiosity keeps growing.

When i came across this awesome site where you can actually get answers for free,  I thought, " ALRIGHT".

I'm just kidding,  but could someone please identify what this is?  I live in northern California, but don't hold that against me.

It's hard enough having to admit it.

20201002_071034.jpg.d93c512f70f04c8ea5a8f09dfc3ff7a1.jpg 720201002_071858.jpg.b9af3e3b5ad38ae228fb34279ea32ecc.jpg

20201002_071858.jpg

1601648675497991153298.thumb.jpg.7abf29232ad5ba96b134b15fed96844f.jpg

@Lassoatrain 

Your post has been split into its own topic.  Can you give a better location for this find?

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

West side of tehema county about 8 miles west of black butte lake. One side of the dirt road is tan dirt and the other side  is red caliche .

interesting complex geological area.  Lot of things went on here . there is the pacifc plate diving under the continintal shelf .and it must get too depth not far from here because about 20 miles north there are extinct volcanoes and just up the road there is mt.lasson still very much active.Large basalt flows.

Where I am at, there is serpentine all over. Some look to be kimberlite, but I can only compare pictures and unfortunately mine are missing the big diamonds .

They do find diamonds near Mt. Lasson,  and from my understanding some very nice ones. I am in the drainage of black butte lake, and there is all sorts of mountain building evidence on the sides of the lake, (all capped with large basalt flat top buttes, but now largely eroded away).

Follow a straight line with me and the lake another 10 miles and there are chromium mines. No dinosaurs have ever been found here in this county having been an inland sea.

I have read they have found fossils of flora but no animal fossils ? Hows that for a location?  I go though periods when i enjoy collecting rocks, and having moved here not to long ago, once again find interest in learning about the area.

I have found some of the most beautiful  conglomerate. See picture. No big deal, I know.

But thanks for taking a look . I appreciate you taking the time.

20201002_093705.thumb.jpg.92bafb2d49a9650a59cc71fc0b3c36ab.jpg

5 hours ago, Lassoatrain said:

i have read they have found fossils of fauna but no animal fossils ? Hows that for a location?

Unique would be my guess, and the exact opposite of an area where they have found animal fossils but no fauna.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!