Finally found a crab!

Brian-miller

Well the kido and I have been hunting around the reef for a while (we gave up for a bit and went to some upper cretaceous shale on a river for the summer...more opportunity to swim if she got bored lol) but today we went down to the beach to hunt for some shells for a craft and I couldn't help but look a little lol found a small ammonite (I think) and then we saw this concretion laying there I smaked it open  and 432nd time is the charm haha!! It looks to be in pretty great shape even the spines are sharp on the carapace! Kinda neat that these are found only at this reef Emma (my daughter) was so excited normally I just get the thumbs up "cool dad" when we find something hahaha. 

IMG_20201002_154434_221.jpg

• I found this Informative 14

cool... can you show us an even closer view... I might be able to tell what genus it is.

Others here might be able to ID t from this shot.

3 hours ago, Huntonia said:

Very very nice, great find! Do you have the tools to prep these yourself?

Just ordered the conversion tip from paleotools to convert a Chicago air scribe into something I can prep with. But I dont really have the practice or skills to do it. My family is just joining the local paleontology club on Vancouver island VIPS but with COVID stuff it will be a while till I can learn what is needed to work on it :) so for now it's just a sweet find that will go on the shelf and wait. 

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, Huntonia said:

I believe this is a longusorbis crab as indicated  in the tags above.

Ya it is :)

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 4:25 PM, fossisle said:

Can we see the ammonite?

i only snapped a quick cell pic before i glued it back together. (i found the two halves of it cracked open by the ocean on the beach) so ill give it a go here hopefully over Christmas prepping and see how it goes. Nice to meet another Vancouver islander on here :) 

132550704_401026267621403_8522722289042182713_n.jpg

132719195_157630369447701_5276362488068779385_n.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Also found this little guy as well a few days ago but he is much smaller. What is the best way to glue these tops back on superglue or would something else be better so that when (at some point when my skills Improve and I attempt to prep these) I don't curse my past self for making my life difficult. 

20201220_154915.jpg

• I found this Informative 6