lakoneko

I found this fossil back in 2014 at Cedar Creek Reservoir in Franklin County, Alabama. I was told the fossils we'd find there would be Mississippian, contained in Bangor Limestone. When I first found this I thought it might be a trilobite butt or a shark tooth and I recently decided to try to clean it, and now I don't know what it is :s_confused: there are two depressions under each prong, and the prongs bow back up (couldn't really get a side pic)

The pictures show the uncovered fossil (the lighter material was what was initially uncovered).

Thank you for any assistance!

On a separate note: I also feel terrible that I ended up damaging it a little (chipped the left edge on the bottom most segment) :s_cry:

20201004_003529~2.jpg

20201004_003546~2.jpg

20201004_003606~2.jpg

20201004_001023~3.jpg

Definitely a shark tooth, and a quite nice one at that. Maybe Poecilodus, but I'm not positive. Great find.

• I found this Informative 6

6 hours ago, connorp said:

Definitely a shark tooth, and a quite nice one at that. Maybe Poecilodus, but I'm not positive. Great find.

2 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Looks like a Petalodontid shark tooth. Maybe Fissodus? Picture is from here-http://naka.na.coocan.jp/petalodus3.html

The symmetry of the specimen suggests a Petalodontid like Fissodus more than Poecilodus but IMHO it still isn't a great match for either.  COOL fossil!

• I found this Informative 3

Epic find!!!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Very cool, I don't have much knowledge in these types of sharks teeth but they always fascinate me.

13 hours ago, lakoneko said:

On a separate note: I also feel terrible that I ended up damaging it a little (chipped the left edge on the bottom most segment) :s_cry:

I wouldn't worry about it, mistakes happen, this one still looks great to me! Are you planning on doing anything more with the surrounding fossils? I think just a little cleaning work would really make this piece look incredible.

• I found this Informative 1

Hard to tell on my phone but it looks like a dentition to me.

I think its too early for Orodus, but reminds me of it.

Really nice find, regardless!

Steve

23 hours ago, connorp said:

18 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Looks like a Petalodontid shark tooth. Maybe Fissodus? Picture is from here-http://naka.na.coocan.jp/petalodus3.html

2ABDA4BB-914F-4F13-9A81-264A24C2EC48.jpeg

16 hours ago, erose said:

The symmetry of the specimen suggests a Petalodontid like Fissodus more than Poecilodus but IMHO it still isn't a great match for either.  COOL fossil!

9 hours ago, Bullsnake said:

Hard to tell on my phone but it looks like a dentition to me.

I think its too early for Orodus, but reminds me of it.

Really nice find, regardless!

Thanks everybody for the great suggestions. I hadn't realized shark teeth could be ribbed like this, very interesting! I'll definitely be sure to look more into it and maybe reach out to my old Paleo professor. If I get a definitive ID before someone else does, I'll be sure to update everyone here!

10 hours ago, Huntonia said:

Very cool, I don't have much knowledge in these types of sharks teeth but they always fascinate me.

I wouldn't worry about it, mistakes happen, this one still looks great to me! Are you planning on doing anything more with the surrounding fossils? I think just a little cleaning work would really make this piece look incredible.

I am pretty new to preparation. This was my first attempt, just using a metal pick from a dermatology kit to chip away at the limestone (which is primarily a dense bryozoan/crinoid hash with a few harder embedded shells and blastoids). The slab it's attached to is pretty big compared to the fossil, so I would like to trim it down and clean it some more, but I'm not sure how best to proceed.

1 hour ago, lakoneko said:

I am pretty new to preparation. This was my first attempt, just using a metal pick from a dermatology kit to chip away at the limestone (which is primarily a dense bryozoan/crinoid hash with a few harder embedded shells and blastoids). The slab it's attached to is pretty big compared to the fossil, so I would like to trim it down and clean it some more, but I'm not sure how best to proceed

Looks good for hand tools! I have no real experience trimming matrix, I'd imagine you'd need a pretty decent saw. To clean surrounding fossils ideally you'd want an air abrasive but depending on how fragile those fossils are a toothbrush and some running water might be enough to make a big difference.

Keep at it with the prep and don't beat yourself up over the little mistakes. I'm pretty new to the process as well, here's a fail from my first real project, broke a section right out of the claw :unsure: It happens, just go slow and don't sweat it :thumbsu:

20201004_113022.thumb.jpg.3a45cddc25acc4bdd9c93cca6019262f.jpg

It is a really, really nice tooth for sure...though I'm fascinated by the entire substrate. That matrix is amazing looking.