Shark tooth ID help

Jgonzalez

It is either a Megalodon OR a Great White. 

The almost complete lack of a bourlette would imply GW,  but the overall shape screams Megalodon.

I lean to Megalodon.

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I agree. It could be either, but Megs have been found without bourlettes. On the other hand, I've never seen a Great White shaped like this. I'd go with Meg. 

3 hours ago, Jgonzalez said:

Can anyone ID this shark tooth? Found in Charleston, SC.

2 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

but the overall shape screams Megalodon.

And just to muck with you some more .. in that part of South Carolina in my experience you are more likely to be holding an O. angustidens than a meg. Always with their sometimes -diminutive- cusps broken or worn away. If you hunt the creeks and the beach 9 times out of 10 I come home with broken angustidens. 

46840-31.thumb.jpg.9af200b3359091354b408fc17dc7e7f6.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

@Jgonzalez Can you provide close-up pictures of the tooth? It would be helpful to be able to see if side cusps are (were) present on your tooth. 

Yeah... I agree that it’s a megatoothed shark, as for angy or meg, I can’t say.

12 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

Can you provide close-up pictures of the tooth? It would be helpful to be able to see if side cusps are (were) present on your tooth. 

C7AEAB1D-7353-4BF7-8131-810FAF5021A7.jpeg.94e1e96bc207dff6a418cf829954baa8.jpeg

pulling a fossildude19, cropped brightened and contrasted.

I don’t think there were any other cusps

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

@Jgonzalez Personally the shape and condition is something I would associate with an Angy with its ears clipped ... broken conveniently at the edges. Either way you have a mega-toothed shark tooth (Otodus sp.) My trouble in this area was always the abundance of O. angustidens and occam's razor. If I found something worn and beat up I was probably ... holding an Angy because they are so common. 

Image Credit: Sharkteeth.com

STSCA301e.jpg.890632e8188568dd8963da9c03c20513.jpg

I cried when I saw this one ... this is my own example. The cusps can be quite small. The morphology can vary so much. 01_Summerville_SC_Angustidens_112017.thumb.jpg.d393d3f13d2a6113628cf11d046e19f5.jpg

Cheers,

B