Small jaw segment with teeth (Ischyromys?) White River Formation

Opabinia Blues

Hello,

this is a small jaw segment from the White River Formation (Poleslide Member of the Brule) from Weld County, CO. This is one of a few jaw segments I cannot white identify. It does not look like the Leptomeryx jaw segments that I have collected (and indeed is even too small to fit that genus), and the shape of the teeth to me do not look like they belong to an Artiodactyl of any kind, so my best guess based on picture browsing is Ischyromys but I could be very very wrong here so I appreciate any help.

4B121650-1A7C-4C74-9761-468F43D17003.thumb.jpeg.12eb5909f041037d17664020a03332f8.jpeg

Thanks!

1 hour ago, OpabiniaBoogaloo said:

Hello,

this is a small jaw segment from the White River Formation (Poleslide Member of the Brule) from Weld County, CO. This is one of a few jaw segments I cannot white identify. It does not look like the Leptomeryx jaw segments that I have collected (and indeed is even too small to fit that genus), and the shape of the teeth to me do not look like they belong to an Artiodactyl of any kind, so my best guess based on picture browsing is Ischyromys but I could be very very wrong here so I appreciate any help.

4B121650-1A7C-4C74-9761-468F43D17003.thumb.jpeg.12eb5909f041037d17664020a03332f8.jpeg

Thanks!

In order to ID mammal teeth, we need an occlusal view - a shot straight down at the biting surface.

Jess

• I found this Informative 2

5 hours ago, siteseer said:

In order to ID mammal teeth, we need an occlusal view - a shot straight down at the biting surface.

Jess

E3B0E2D0-E1EF-4557-A354-EA5AAC991A13.thumb.jpeg.6c313c7a0eba5effcd5b2c74da5ac409.jpeg

and I hate to have to say this, but it needs to be in focus.

The double lobed shape I can see suggests not a rodent.  Have you looked into Hypisodus, it is a smaller artiodactyl than Leptomeryx.

• I found this Informative 1

30 minutes ago, jpc said:

and I hate to have to say this, but it needs to be in focus.

The double lobed shape I can see suggests not a rodent.  Have you looked into Hypisodus, it is a smaller artiodactyl than Leptomeryx.

That’s as in focus as it’s going to get I’m afraid, phone cameras and small objects do not mix. Thank you for suggesting smaller Artiodactyls, because I’m fairly sure this segment isn’t Leptomeryx. I will look into that.

It's a highly worn,sun bleached Leptomeryx lower jaw fragment with p4,m1 and half of m2. Hypertragulus has a short pointed p4 and is smaller. Hypisodus has a very different tooth pattern and is way smaller then this specimen.