SCSeaGal15

Found this at the edge of a shallow stream bed that flies down from Smoky Mountain region in East Tennessee at Indian Boundary Lake near Tellico Plains Tennessee at edge if Cherokee National Forest. It measures  2" long, 1.75" at widest 1/2" deep at deepest. A bit more flat on one side. Cross section shows a thin outer layer. Outside look reminds me of wood but I don't know. Looks like photos too big so I will load another below.

IMG_20201005_102714.jpg

You can resize the photos to make it fit in one post, but I don't think this is petrified wood, I'm not familiar with that region but it looks like a cool rock. Other members will most likely tell you exactly what kind of rock it is but I'm not that knowledgeable. Also i know you are currently uploading photos but a view of the inside could help

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Yes thank you. I tried to figure out how to resize but couldn't. Never had this problem before with phone pics. I did post some of inside seen on end of piece.

1 minute ago, SCSeaGal15 said:

Above photo next to tape measure shows inside.

That helps but I'm not convinced its petrified wood but give it a couple of hours and others will say their opinions.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

98539A8D-1135-43D9-AFAA-85346446C281.jpeg.85d2a0d30a3a3f1be2ab65fd5033f539.jpeg

with petrified wood you should see parallel lines like on modern wood but I can’t see that on yours

9 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

98539A8D-1135-43D9-AFAA-85346446C281.jpeg.85d2a0d30a3a3f1be2ab65fd5033f539.jpeg

with petrified wood you should see parallel lines like on modern wood but I can’t see that on yours

Yes I see that. Mine doesn't have. It does have an outer thin layer so to speak. When I searched photos on google I got everything from petrified wood to chert to shale to meteorite to Native American too! Lol

I don't know what that is so I will look it up. I have alot of marine fossils bones like dugong/manatee and there are aspects of this that remind me of bone. Thanks for taking the time. I love to learn!

It does look like a rib. I have lots of dugong bone fossils from SW Florida. I know people have found lots of marine coral & shell fossils in Tennessee but I could find nothing about people finding dugong here. Does that make sense with what you know about fossill periods and the East Tennesse location? Thank you for responding! 

The question is best left to someone more knowledgeable about that area.

I can add the idea that you may not be the first human to be interested in it. Native Americans may have carried it there even if it is not to be expected naturally.  

Very good point! And this was Cherokee land , sadly, before the trail of tears. And the Snowbirds of the Cherokee still live in the area. It's a very rugged mountainous area & word is that the Snowbirds hid in these mountains to avoid being relocated to the west. In my research, I saw a piece similar that was supposedly used as a Native American tool. 

• I found this Informative 1