Last Trip of the Season

AK hiker

The snow has arrived at the elevations that I like to hike covering up the fossil beds now. These pictures are from one of my last hikes in the Talkeetna Mountains and as you can see these are oversized fossils. The ice axe next to the clam is 30".

IMG_4403.jpg.0edf766d9fc2c291d07345c97d438b15.jpg

Kobuk and one to the bigger ammonites measured at 65 cm diameter is another whopper.

IMG_4519.jpg.0f4fda85f549298332a37e4a343a66c4.jpg

Ok, now a Where's Waldo picture. How many ammonites do you see in the picture? I have the answer and they as still are all still there in the outcrop, some are broken. 

IMG_4521.jpg.1596b2c60b39b1dafaa9c3505610942d.jpg

The answer is nine ammonites. Until next year happy fossil hunting!

• I found this Informative 6

Those are some giant fossils.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Very nice ammonites. Sad to lose our spots for a while :( though. I still have a little while til the ice sets in. Hope to do another trip but got to work around the winds and getting house ready for winter. 

On 10/5/2020 at 1:12 PM, Top Trilo said:

Those are some giant fossils.

I am still amazed by what keeps eroding out in these deposits. I found this area by following pieces of broken fossils in drainage up to the headwater. 

On 10/6/2020 at 2:30 AM, Sjfriend said:

Very nice ammonites. Sad to lose our spots for a while :( though. I still have a little while til the ice sets in. Hope to do another trip but got to work around the winds and getting house ready for winter. 

I will look forward to seeing your posts and hope to meet you sometime when the pandemic runs its course.

Bob

• I found this Informative 1

On 10/6/2020 at 6:26 AM, Ludwigia said:

Have a good winter!

You as well. I have tided up some of the ammonites and will work on them some more this winter.

• I found this Informative 1