grg1109

Ok, foolishly I was hoping that the Limestone would "pop" off the front of this Trilobite.  But, I've run into a problem.  At first I thought it was a Bryozoan lying along side...then I found spikes?  Can anyone tell me what I've run into here?

Thanks

Greg

prep Trilobite_LI.jpg

Hmm, not entirely sure, but if I were to hazard a guess I'd say your spikes are calcite formation, and this is a bryozoan or coral of some sort. But I'm not confident enough to say anything with certainty.

• I found this Informative 1

Agreeing with Huntonia that it is probably a crystal formation because there is that spike shape at the top but then it loses its shape which has me thinking crystal. The trilobites looking good so far, do you know what kind of trilobite it is?

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

No I don't know what kind of trilobite it is yet hoping to do a good enough job to find out though

They really look like trilobite spikes to me however trilobite Spike's usually a black in this area 

However it really doesn't matter at this point because I ruined them this morning

The crystal theory holds up because they are very similar in color to the calcite crystals I find

Thanks

Greg

I'm a little bummed about ruining them...it looked like a Bryozoan cephalopod with teeth...lol

The pygidium looks like a Greenops. The "spike" looks like possibly a ventral genal spine, but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, aek said:

The "spike" looks like possibly a ventral genal spine, but I could be wrong.

I had considered this, it is also a possibility. It does look somewhat similar to the cephalic doublure of an isotelus but it's hard to say for certain. Here's an older topic that may be of interest to you, @grg1109

Isotelus is Ordovician, and this rock is Devonian. To my recollection, I don't think Greenops or Bellacartwrightia have a terraced doublure. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

36 minutes ago, Kane said:

Isotelus is Ordovician, and this rock is Devonian.

:DOH: my bad. I'm not sure as to which trilobites may or may not have similar doublure. 

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks All!  I am trying to prep this Trilobite.  I'm literally "shaving" the grains of stone off of it.  I expected to "shave" until I began to see the dark patterns of the Trilobite.  However, I have not found any yet.  Possibilities:  It may not be whole or perhaps I won't see darker patterns in the rock?  Remember...this is Tully Limestone...very, very hard.

Thanks

Greg

As to the spikes...they had the exact form...but, entirely the wrong color for spikes of Trilobites in this area.  All the Trilobites I have seen  from here were black or dark colored.  They were "triangular", with a rounded upper face and were flat underneath.

Thanks

Greg

30 minutes ago, grg1109 said:

However, I have not found any yet.  Possibilities:  It may not be whole or perhaps I won't see darker patterns in the rock? 

Could you add a picture? Perhaps you simply haven't reached the fossil yet. I'd also be interested to see what you're using to "shave" the stone with.

As far as the spikes go I do think calcite is likely, it tends to grow in those jagged formations, some people prefer to it as 'dog tooth crystal'.

I have "uncovered" two of the "ribs" (located towards the top of the photo of the Trilobite.

The engraver...I'm using "soft and shallow".  I'm not using the tip of the "chisel", but the edge...trying to keep it in the middle towards the "heal" of the cutting edge.

Greg

prep 2.jpg

engraver (2).jpg

prep tool.jpg

It's difficult to see but, this is the pile of shavings after a couple of passes. Very white patch in the center approx. 2mm long.  Plus I hold the weight of the engraver only letting the edge of the "chisel" to touch the rock.  Basically a "powder".

shaving (2).jpg