HClapper

Found this while hiking in a mostly dry creek bed in North West Arkansas. Picked it up because I thought it was interesting. When I first spotted it I thought it was a piece of bone. Seems very solid, no porousness in the center or striations outside. Is it a fossil of something? Just a neat rock?

20201005_220058.jpg

20201005_220109.jpg

It looks geologic to me. I don't know what the black circle is. 

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

It looks like it has quartz in the middle, doesn’t look like a fossil to me.

It's hard to say for certain, but I just get the feeling that this is the inside of something fossil. An internal mold, or a fossil burrow.

9 hours ago, Rockwood said:

It's hard to say for certain, but I just get the feeling that this is the inside of something fossil. An internal mold, or a fossil burrow.

This could be true, but as it is in metamorphic rock, I believe that it would be impossible to confirm or deny this hypothesis.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Fossil or not, it looks quite interesting!

Shape: It looks like a slightly bend fragment of a somewhat cylindrical object.

Material: Can you do an acid (vinegar or muriatic acid / hydrochloric acid) and scratch test? It could be carbonate-based material or quartz-based material (inside and outside; from the appearance, outside could also be feldspar-based!).

Dark ring: Quite intriguing zig-zag shape in detail. It reminds me somewhat of stylolites in the making. Or some kind of replacement texture?

Franz Bernhard

I think it's probably just a neat rock.  There's no bone in NWA really, everything here is Carboniferous era marine fossils:  a lot of crinoids, corals, shells, bryzoans, cephalopods, etc.  This doesn't look like a crinoid or a horn coral, or like any of the fossils I've ever found.  I suspect your rock is chert surrounded by limestone; pretty common in the area :)

2 hours ago, NWARockhound said:

I think it's probably just a neat rock.  There's no bone in NWA really, everything here is Carboniferous era marine fossils:  a lot of crinoids, corals, shells, bryzoans, cephalopods, etc.  This doesn't look like a crinoid or a horn coral, or like any of the fossils I've ever found.  I suspect your rock is chert surrounded by limestone; pretty common in the area :)

I wondered. It didn't look like any fossils I have seen, but I haven't seen that many. I wasnt able to come up with anything close via google images, lol.  I just like the look of it. : )  

19 hours ago, HClapper said:

I wondered. It didn't look like any fossils I have seen, but I haven't seen that many. I wasnt able to come up with anything close via google images, lol.  I just like the look of it. : )  

The Ozarks are certainly full of great rocks! :)