Fossil tooth - Green River Formation, WY

Brian Magnier

I found this tooth while prepping some of my fossils from the American Fossil quarry near Kemmerer, WY. This is actually in the same plate as a partial stingray that I've been trying to piece back together! I didn't even know the tooth was there until today, weeks after our trip to the quarry!

It is very hard, shiny, and completely 3-dimensional. Has some ridges running longitudinally from the base (visible in picture), but these fade out and the top half is very smooth. No serrations. 1cm long, 2-3mm wide.

Some quick googling makes me think Crocodile Tooth - there is a picture on FossilsForSale.com that is pretty much identical, and is listed as a crocodile. 

5f7cbc4d1bf61_Greenrivertooth.thumb.jpg.19e925cf257d69545a669c0957eae2ae.jpg

Tooth and ray.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

It could also be gar as their teeth conical and have ridges on the enamel as well. Amia (bowfin) could be another consideration.

• I found this Informative 1

In the first picture, I think I see a slightly different coloration in the very tip of the tooth.  This is pretty typical of gar teeth.  I am in the gar camp on this one. 

• I found this Informative 3

Cool, thanks! I feel like if mine is gar, the one I found online is mis-IDed, since they look so similar. I was kinda hoping for it to be a croc tooth, but gar is rare too, and I didn't even know it was there before, so anything is a bonus! :) 

And yes, the tip is definitely distinct from the rest, with a little horizontal indentation separating the super smooth cone tip from the rest of the tooth.

I agree with the others. Pretty certain gar teeth are fairly common from that quarry, though personally, I haven't found any yet...still have a lot of stuff to prep!