Just bought - all spinosaurus?

FossilizedJello

From morocco

They look like spinosaurus to me but let me know. Any info is greatly appreciated as always.

Screenshot_20201007-114616_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20201007-114609_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20201007-114606_eBay.jpg

10 minutes ago, Paleostoric said:

They look more like plesiosaur teeth to me.

Oh really. I am definitely not familiar with morrocon teeth other then a mososaur whichnl is easily identifiable. Thanks

Yeah they look like Plesiosaur teeth from the Ouled Abdoun Basin in Morocco - possibly Zarafasaura. Spinosaurus is known from the Kem Kem.

• I found this Informative 1

9 minutes ago, msantix said:

Yeah they look like Plesiosaur teeth from the Ouled Abdoun Basin in Morocco - possibly Zarafasaura. Spinosaurus is known from the Kem Kem.

Thanks!

The same seller is also selling some ridiculous stuff. Like I said, not an expert on moroccon fossils and all the fakes but this looks fake? My order looks real however. 

Screenshot_20201007-122428_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20201007-122706_eBay.jpg

I've been seeing Plesiosaur teeth being listed as Spinosaur teeth from time to time on the auction site. The provenance never seems to be wrong so I don't think it's with ill intent, but rather, they don't know that Morocco produces Plesiosaur teeth. Spinosaurus is much more abundant on the market than plesiosaurs so that may be the issue.

No spinosaur teeth here. Those teeth are all plesiosaur teeth as the others have said. Indeed most likely Zarafasaura oceanis.

And I would say those trilobite photos aren't good enough to tell if they are real or fake. But second photo especially looks quite suspicious.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

5 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

No spinosaur teeth here. Those teeth are all plesiosaur teeth as the others have said. Indeed most likely Zarafasaura oceanis.

And I would say those trilobite photos aren't good enough to tell if they are real or fake. But second photo especially looks quite suspicious.

Thank you. Its cool that they are plesiosaur. He never stated what they were as he looks like he usually deals in antiques. Im happy with the purchase but you dont think the teeth are fake or restored? I would say no but...idk

Heres some more pics if it helps at all of the trilobites. 

Screenshot_20201007-131407_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20201007-131448_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20201007-131403_eBay.jpg

They just seem soo big to be real. I would think that species at that size belongs in a museum. 

I dont think the seller has any ill intent as he doesnt seem to sell fossils often. Just maybe doesnt realize hes selling fake stuff. My concern is if the teeth have any restoration or are fakes in some way.

4 minutes ago, FossilizedJello said:

They just seem soo big to be real. I would think that species at that size belongs in a museum. 

Yeah, trilobites can get big. These look like Cambropallas from Morocco, which are very often faked and heavily restored, but others more knowledgeable about trilobites can correct me if I'm wrong. As mentioned before, this particular plate looks suspicious and the pictures are not sufficient enough to determine authenticity.

20 minutes ago, FossilizedJello said:

My concern is if the teeth have any restoration or are fakes in some way.

Plesiosaur teeth are generally safe. Nothing seems sus about the ones you purchased, just standard repairs. They should be treated akin to mosasaur teeth, i.e watch out for extensive roots, jaws, skulls.

Yeah, I’d say plesiosaur teeth, but they don’t look repaired or restored to me, cool teeth!

I would stay away from those Cambropallas, if not entirely fake they are likely heavily restored. This one especially looks very suspicious

Screenshot_20201007-131448_eBay.thumb.jpg.fee495f3c7e80d284423cc9f0072a9df.jpg.fe8911691ebde3100ed3ca1e93965f56.jpg

The other trilo you showed is most certainly fake. Not only does it show clear signs of foul play, it appears to be a Burmeisterella, which are exceedingly rare. It's my understanding that there is no evidence thus far that any species of this genus actually had spines like this (despite their common placement on fake specimens). Perhaps @piranha can fact check me on that.

Here's a helpful link: 

http://www.fossilmuseum.net/collect/faketrilobites3.htm

Looks like I got the legit ones and escaped from the fake ones! The seller must have travelled recently and bought a bunch of fossils. 

7 hours ago, Huntonia said:

I would stay away from those Cambropallas, if not entirely fake they are likely heavily restored. This one especially looks very suspicious

Screenshot_20201007-131448_eBay.thumb.jpg.fee495f3c7e80d284423cc9f0072a9df.jpg.fe8911691ebde3100ed3ca1e93965f56.jpg

The other trilo you showed is most certainly fake. Not only does it show clear signs of foul play, it appears to be a Burmeisterella, which are exceedingly rare. It's my understanding that there is no evidence thus far that any species of this genus actually had spines like this (despite their common placement on fake specimens). Perhaps @piranha can fact check me on that.

Here's a helpful link: 

http://www.fossilmuseum.net/collect/faketrilobites3.htm

Thanks! Very helpful and yes I suspected a rare species and the size/spines/quality give it away. Im curious if the trilobite is real but the spines are fake. 

9 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Yeah, I’d say plesiosaur teeth, but they don’t look repaired or restored to me, cool teeth!

Yes! Cant wait to get them in.