fossilized piece of bone? found in the Rio Grande

katieincorrales

Hi Everybody.. I'm not a fossil hunter (just an interested bystander), but my five-year old son found this while exploring the shallows of the Rio Grande near our home, just north of Albuquerque, New Mexico.  I'm 99% sure its fossilized and not just a bone.  It's about 9 cm by 5.5 cm.  You can see its smooth and curved on one side, and has a sort of sponge-like texture that would remind you of the inner part of a bone on the other. Any guesses on what it could be?  Thanks in advance for any input!

IMG_6650.jpg

IMG_6651.jpg

IMG_6652.jpg

IMG_6653.jpg

IMG_6654.jpg

IMG_6655.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

One of these was on the forum about a month ago I think but I can't remember what it is. Like you though Im 99% sure its a fossil. I will be searching to hope to find out what kind of bone and then what kind of animal

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)