Nautiloid? And what species would it be? (Solved also No soft tissue)

Samurai

Timer period: Pennsylvanian

Formation: Not exactly sure.

Found in an abandoned rock pile containing limestone from the Iola Limestone

Still it is a possibility it came from limestone from the Upper Winterset limestone.

Hello! I found this nautiloid a long time ago and it was too heavy for me to carry the chunk of limestone that contained it, but before I left I got a few pictures of the specimen! Once I observed the photo a few weeks later I had the biggest regret of my life as it might contain an impression of soft tissue! 

I don't know If my mind is playing tricks on me but I think it might contain soft tissue. The thought is driving me crazy since I am always doubtful when I find fossils like these and due to my own lack of experience. Can anyone confirm if it does contain soft tissue?

5f7f6452284d7_20200630-184158-HDR(1).jpg.ac8560d5ab2d1dd6f5a6b84ebfa009ca.jpg

w_dw_w.jpg.9da1d9e9104e1694da054a25948f5f6b.jpg

5f7f64478bb35_nauti(1).jpg.fe7c1c9905de2fc9239e5bdafd457f24.jpg

Is this a tentacle? or my imagination?

nauti_2.jpg.ea7d7e1dbe6bff91c77161bb6f3e0d7b.jpg nauti_tentacle.jpg.ffe42be0536688bcd1bbb9e1f3096799.jpg

Here are photos I edited in photoshop in order to see if I can make the features more visible

5f7f671cd0233_Nautiiii(1).jpg.30411abafdb3e4a37c4e3af1df49688f.jpg

(Above) Added more saturation and darkened

5f7f67a3a8d3a_Nauttititit(1).jpg.cf355f8a24ed935de722d17e3f91a743.jpg

(above) Added saturation and brightened the image

I would like to note I have returned to the area but I have had no luck in finding it again and these are the clearest images I could obtain and I apologize for the blurriness

Here are the images in their natural file size and some additional images:

https://imgur.com/a/80wzODc

If possible I would also love to know its species but I find that unlikely since it is bisected and poorly preserved shell wise.

I don’t know what species it would be but I think the “soft tissue” is part of the shell that has eroded away and left the faint imprint. That would be my guess let’s see what others make of it

• I found this Informative 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

20 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

I don’t know what species it would be but I think the “soft tissue” is part of the shell that has eroded away and left the faint imprint. That would be my guess let’s see what others make of it

I thought it might be a faint imprint but I just wanted to make sure of what it could possibly be, thank you for responding.

Looks like the cross section/extension of the shell, ... maybe the living chamber? 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with the others. Not seeing any soft tissue at any rate. Soft tissue is usually preserved, and nota bene, very rarely, in an anoxic environment in dark shales or marls. Limestone is always built where there is plenty of oxygen in the water.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

46 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I agree with the others. Not seeing any soft tissue at any rate. Soft tissue is usually preserved, and nota bene, very rarely, in an anoxic environment in dark shales or marls. Limestone is always built where there is plenty of oxygen in the water.

I agree with Ludwigia, normally soft tissue preservation occurs only in black shales and marl formed under anoxic conditions.  But there are rare exceptions to the rule. The lithographic limestones of Solnhofen are calcareous, but sometimes show soft tissue preservation (as imprints).

But here it looks like the remains of a weathered shell.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Looks like the cross section/extension of the shell, ... maybe the living chamber? 

yup.