Knightia or Diplomystus?

Top Trilo

I bought this prepare your own fossil fish either knightia or diplomystus so I could prepare something for the first time which is why it looks like this don’t judge. I was wondering two things actually, one is it a knightia or diplo? And two are all green river fish this hard? I know I didn’t do a good prep job but was the fish poorly preserved as well? It was paper thin in some places and the fish doesn’t look whole it looks like its bones got moved after it died. Oh it’s also about 3 inches from the mouth to the “end” of the tail5573D3C8-FFA4-4028-8D3F-59657AB8EC35.thumb.jpeg.e9d45301c50d5755b292341adbc684c1.jpeg

BAE56D25-B729-4E86-9176-BEDA387FECF2.jpeg

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

It is a poorly preserved, disarticulated specimen. 

The easily identifiable features are not present. 

I would say it's a Knightia, but I'm not sure how you would go about proving that. 

I'm not seeing the humped back, thickened post cranial bones, fins, caudal fin, or body shape of a Diplomystus

But again, it is a very poorly preserved specimen. 

The thickness of the tail that is showing, and the size lead me to Knightia for this. 

BAE56D25-B729-4E86-9176-BEDA387FECF2.thumb.jpeg.81219fe336b8b1b475ca971d1cb2c95b.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

17 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

It is a poorly preserved, disarticulated specimen. 

The easily identifiable features are not present. 

I would say it's a Knightia, but I'm not sure how you would go about proving that. 

I'm not seeing the humped back, thickened post cranial bones, fins, caudal fin, or body shape of a Diplomystus

But again, it is a very poorly preserved specimen. 

The thickness of the tail that is showing, and the size lead me to Knightia for this. 

BAE56D25-B729-4E86-9176-BEDA387FECF2.thumb.jpeg.81219fe336b8b1b475ca971d1cb2c95b.jpeg

Thank you Tim, when you say its a poorly preserved disarticulated specimen, are you saying its not only because I did a bad prep job, its actually that I did a bad prep job on an already poor specimen right?

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

I don't know that you did a bad prep job. ;) 

But yes, it was badly disarticulated and poorly preserved before you even touched it.  :b_wdremel:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

6 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I don't know that you did a bad prep job. ;) 

But yes, it was badly disarticulated and poorly preserved before you even touched it.  :b_wdremel:

Thanks again. I guess since it is my first time I shouldn't be comparing a badly preserved fish to the fish prepped by Ptychodus or RJBs crabs. I hope to get there some day though :)

That seems to be an example of what I call an “exploded fish”. For that specimen and for your first fish prep you didn’t do badly and you got experience that will help you on your next one! I am curious about wether there are too many pieces for just one fish or if there are parts of multiples in there along with the more complete one. And don’t worry! They aren’t all like this. Each prep job is it’s own dance and experience. Some come easy, some come hard, and some don’t come at all. But they are all worthwhile in my opinion! Good luck on your next one!

• I found this Informative 2

4 minutes ago, Randyw said:

That seems to be an example of what I call an “exploded fish”. For that specimen and for your first fish prep you didn’t do badly and you got experience that will help you on your next one! I am curious about wether there are too many pieces for just one fish or if there are parts of multiples in there along with the more complete one. And don’t worry! They aren’t all like this. Each prep job is it’s own dance and experience. Some come easy, some come hard, and some don’t come at all. But they are all worthwhile in my opinion! Good luck on your next one!

Thank you, I will definitely prep again and I've learned things since then that will help.

1 hour ago, Top Trilo said:

Thank you, I will definitely prep again and I've learned things since then that will help.

Yep even if it doesn't turn out as well as you hoped every prep is a learning experience. I'm currently halfway through a very difficult prep that from a monetary perspective looks like the piece won't be half worth the time I'm putting into it. However, the learning makes up for the (somewhat) wasted hours. Keep at it, I look forward to seeing what you do next.