Trilobite Size vs. Quality

DLowe69

General question for the group:

Would you rather find a large (large being over 8 inches, in my case), inflated trilobite with some damage OR a smaller, flat trilobite with very little damage at all?  I know it would depend on the actual examples, but in general I was wondering what people preferred.  I have a small one that I think is cool but the larger ones are just so much more impressive to me...

I am just starting to collect trilobites, as I have only recently realized they can be found in my area. Thanks.
  • I found this Informative 2

I would rather have a small and large size because the baby’s are just as impressive as the adults in my opinion. 

• I found this Informative 1

I agree.  Now that I have found 3 or 4 trilobites, I want to find as many as possible!  I am just trying to get an idea of the relative value of the sizes of trilobites (collecting value, not necessarily monetary value), that's all.  I guess it would depend on the collector...

1 hour ago, DLowe69 said:
General question for the group:

Would you rather find a large (large being over 8 inches, in my case), inflated trilobite with some damage OR a smaller, flat trilobite with very little damage at all?  I know it would depend on the actual examples, but in general I was wondering what people preferred.  I have a small one that I think is cool but the larger ones are just so much more impressive to me...

I am just starting to collect trilobites, as I have only recently realized they can be found in my area. Thanks.

no one is really answering your question

me, i collect shark teeth (as well as whatever else i come across that strikes my fancy) and generally, now that i have hundreds, i would rather find a big one with a little damage than a perfect mini.

That said, i think the better rule, be it fossils or books or whatever else you collect, is that you're better off collecting quality over quantity, and i think that applies to your "size" question as well.

I could fit maybe two large ones in my display case, but no more. A number of small ones would fit just fine. 

Thanks Butch.  That is my thinking as well.  No matter what I prefer - and I don't really have a preference - I will take whatever trilobites I can find!  I mainly asked since most trilobite pics I have been able to find on the internet are quite small (under 4 cm, for example) and even when they are described as 'inflated', they only look to be about 1 cm high.  I found a trilobite that is almost 9 inches long, 5 inches wide, and about 3 inches high - I will post pics once it its preparation is complete and I have it back...

My first trilobites were at a great site in Utah (U Dig near Delta, UT). Easy to find, and in great condition, in tact and solid, and decent size (1" or so).  Got the "bug" and tried searching more locally in western NY (Penn Dixie).  Also had some success, but no where as satisfying as the Utah trip...the NY bugs were more brittle, curled, and often in pieces.  So to answer your question, I'm more interested in quality than size.  The Utah ones are about as perfect as they come, and it's doubtful I'll make it to Morocco in my lifetime!

I personally would rather have a smaller, nice specimen rather than a large and damaged one. In most cases, the larger the trilobite would mean greater the odds that there would be damage or some shell missing. They are delicate creatures after all. Personally I think you should collect whatever you value. There are lots of others who have purchased lesser quality, quick Morrocan prepped material for example and are very happy with their purchase. I own no Moroccan material because detailed prep on that type of rock is very time consuming, and too costly for someone like me. Keep your eye open and you'll be able to find some great quality specimens also for a great deal.

Regards, Jackson 

I prefer going for smaller non inflated ones but i m biaised. Where i hunt most of the bugs are inflated in one direction or another so im happy when i hit a small nice one...

Last week i had quite a productive run which yelded 8 or so complete/nearly complete bugs (no photo yet) and let me tell you the one that gonna reach the shelf is a 3  cm fellow.

The 12 cm ones gonna go for trades.

illustration of distortions : 2 Neseuretus tristani.

49698197968_f9dec84e7e_o.jpg

49698729406_795d9ca5c2_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I would rather have the small, but mostly complete, bug.  When I first started I collected about everything, but now I only collect (mostly) complete bugs, unless I recognize it as a rare species.  Then I will collect pieces.  Also if I am in a location I will be unlikely to visit again.

I like all the trilobites but I personally would rather have a smaller one in better condition, generally the larger the trilobite the less features they have and the more spines and horns and spikes the better

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I personally am a fan of the small but high quality ones, but the large slightly damaged ones speak to my love of taphonomy, so it is a hard choice.