Upper cretaceous nanaimo group strata ID

Brian-miller

So out hunting in some sedimentary rock from the nanaimo group on vancouver island here and found this. Sticking out of a rather large chunk of rock. Any idea what this might be? (If anything?) I've looked through my "westcoast fossils" book but does not look (to me) like anything from that. 

20201009_201549.jpg

I'm not sure what it is, if it is something, but someone is interested. :)

image.png.945b5101885d3105f1e1a51627c37169.png 

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

47 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Hahaha! 

2 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Looks like an assassin bug.

I can't tell you what the fossil is.

I agree with fossisle, it is a very eroded Inoceramus clam.  The shell is mostly eroded so we are seeing the rock from inside the shell.  In the Nanaimo Group it is common that the interior of these shells is hardened into a concretion that is harder than the surrounding shale so they tend to contrast with the surrounding rock.

The "bug" (it's OK to call it a bug as it is a Hemipteran) is probably not an assassin bug.  The expanded segment on the hind legs suggests it is a leaf-footed bug, family Coreidae.  Photo isn't sharp enough for a genus/species level ID, at least not by me.

Don

47 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I agree with fossisle, it is a very eroded Inoceramus clam.  The shell is mostly eroded so we are seeing the rock from inside the shell.  In the Nanaimo Group it is common that the interior of these shells is hardened into a concretion that is harder than the surrounding shale so they tend to contrast with the surrounding rock.

The "bug" (it's OK to call it a bug as it is a Hemipteran) is probably not an assassin bug.  The expanded segment on the hind legs suggests it is a leaf-footed bug, family Coreidae.  Photo isn't sharp enough for a genus/species level ID, at least not by me.

Don

Haha love the attention the bug got in this hahah. Thanks ya that makes sense for the eroded Ino, I've only ever found the tops of them never a whole one top and bottom so the shape threw me a bit other than just "oh that def looks like something I'll take that home" thanks for the help!!!