Charmouth bone?

RLJ14

Hi all, thank you for letting me join and post our find. My kids found this fossil(?) on Charmouth beach in the UK a few years ago. We didn't think it was anything until a family friend pointed out that it looked like a vertebrae or pelvis bone of some kind. I have no idea honestly so my apologies if that is a ridiculous thing to say. We are hoping it is a dinosaur bone, but any kind of fossil would be amazing, especially for my son who is 10 and LOVES dinosaurs and fossils. We hope you can help and I hope the pictures are okay. Please let me know if you need different photos and thank you all so much for your help and contributions to people.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-10 at 14.25.41 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-10 at 14.25.41.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-10 at 14.25.42 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-10 at 14.25.42.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-10 at 14.25.43 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-10 at 14.25.43.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-10 at 14.29.19 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-10 at 14.29.19 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-10 at 14.29.19 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-10 at 14.29.19 (4).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-10 at 14.29.19 (5).jpeg

Welcome to the forum from Colorado, I'm not sure I see any bone texture. Some other people with more knowledge with fossil bones will chime in soon and give you a better answer.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Hello and a warm welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.

Like @Top Trilo I do not see a bone here.  Rather I believe you have a suggestively shaped piece of Charmouth chert.  Don't quit looking though.  Feed that 10 year old's interest in ancient life.  Who knows what dividends the effort will pay in the future? 

Again, "Welcome".

• I found this Informative 2

I agree with flint/chert nodule. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Chert / flint is a quartz based rock that formed in the local limestone.  Nodules of flint can have many exotic forms, including holes, bone shapes, eggs, small animals, etc.

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Welcome to the forum from Strasbourg, France!

I agree with the above in that this is, unfortunately, not a fossil, but rather a suggestive-looking piece of flint. Flint-nodules are quite common at Charmouth (and, in fact, any coastal fossiling site I've visited) and can take very suggestive forms, as @JohnJ pointed out. This maybe due to them forming around fossils that may be surrounded or even enclosed by the flint. When the fossil and limestone that contain the flint weather away, this may leave odd shapes and - in some cases - impressions of the fossils that were once there. 

Don't give up the hunt, though! Fossils are a great hobby and enticing way to explore past life!

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett