Sign in to follow this  
PetrosTrilobite

Dinosaurs and reptiles size estimation with teeth

PetrosTrilobite

Is it easy to find the size of the animal with a tooth? For example, i have a spinosaurid tooth from morroco 2.75 inch long (approx. 2 cm is root), a large mosasaur tooth about 2 inch, a Carcharodontosaurus 1.94 inch. My estimation: my spino tooth belong to an animal about 7-10 meters long if it is a of the large teeth on this spino mouth, for the carcha i think that came from the middle or the back of the jaw of an animal 5-8 meters long, and the mosasaur from a 7-8 meters long mosasaur, and is a very thick tooth.

www.FossilEra.com-specimen-254-58657-7.jpg

85786-13.jpg

Kane

That's a good question. I think there may be a tooth-to-body comparison chart somewhere. Let me ask @Troodon. If anyone would know that, I'm betting it would be him!

Troodon

Not familiar with any theropod ones, it may exist.    The largest teeth in a theropod are typically anterior maxillary ones but we have so few discoveries in Morocco of skeletons with skulls or jaws with teeth its hard to draw any conclusions about anything.  In fact paleontologists cannot even agree on how many genus species exist in the Kem Kem since so little is known.   For example all we know about a Carcharodontosaurus in the Kem Kem is one skull so to try correlate tooth size to animal size is a bit premature.  

jpc

I am not familiar with anything like this either, but if you look in to a T rex mouth, there are teeth of many different sizes.  This doesn't mean it can't be done, but implies that it would need to involve many different measurements.