Mastodonsaurus Rib Bones, Real?

King Butler

I mean they look like real fossils. But I have no idea if the ID is correct.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Sorry, I only have a Mastodonsaurus skull, there are no ribs.

5f823605823cd_Ch1400MastodonsauruscappelensisUntTriasKappelnDWeberCh1400.thumb.jpg.9ac85d1912971965430b1cc663222fcc.jpg

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Thanks everyone.

The main issue I had was if the fossils looked real. As far as I cane make out the location for it is correct and the seller is as far as I can tell reputable, so I'm going to take the chance. Along with prehistoric elephants I've taken an intreast in amphibians also.

51 minutes ago, oilshale said:

Sorry, I only have a Mastodonsaurus skull, there are no ribs.

5f823605823cd_Ch1400MastodonsauruscappelensisUntTriasKappelnDWeberCh1400.thumb.jpg.9ac85d1912971965430b1cc663222fcc.jpg

Thats is beautiful, thank you for sharing. I'll likely never get my hands on something that large or clear. 

I doubt that these bones are ribs of mastodonsaurus.

Have a look to compare:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235732311_Comparative_osteology_of_Mastodonsaurus_giganteus_Jaeger_1828_from_the_Middle_Triassic_Lettenkeuper_Longobardian_of_Germany_Baden-Wurttemberg_Bayern_Thuringen

If it is from the quarry mentioned on the label and from Lettenkeuper, it is most likely that it comes out of the Anthrakonitbank which represents a bonebed with various marine and terrestric vertebrates. It is quite difficult to match the ribs to a specific genus, some are very characteristic, but most are not. I think the piece matches more to a Nothosauridae (marine reptile)..

P.S.: M. cappelensis is from Upper Buntsandstein (Olenek) and therefore much older than M. giganteus (Ladin).

2 hours ago, Pemphix said:

I doubt that these bones are ribs of mastodonsaurus.

Have a look to compare:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235732311_Comparative_osteology_of_Mastodonsaurus_giganteus_Jaeger_1828_from_the_Middle_Triassic_Lettenkeuper_Longobardian_of_Germany_Baden-Wurttemberg_Bayern_Thuringen

If it is from the quarry mentioned on the label and from Lettenkeuper, it is most likely that it comes out of the Anthrakonitbank which represents a bonebed with various marine and terrestric vertebrates. It is quite difficult to match the ribs to a specific genus, some are very characteristic, but most are not. I think the piece matches more to a Nothosauridae (marine reptile)..

P.S.: M. cappelensis is from Upper Buntsandstein (Olenek) and therefore much older than M. giganteus (Ladin).

Sadly  your post has come a little to late as I've already bought it. Not that its a problem in and of it's self as I dont have any Nothosauridae fossils either. 

Thanks for your advise all the same though.