Differentiating between Oreodont and camel jaws/teeth

Opabinia Blues

Hello!

Does anyone know of any good references for differentiating between Oreodont and camel dentition, particularly in regards to the little jaw sections that are frequently found in White River deposits? I’ve been unable to find any good literature on the topic and am having some difficulty with differentiating between the two.

This site might help.

https://whiteriver.weebly.com/

Also the seminal text The White River Badlands, 1920, South Dakota School of Mines. 

• I found this Informative 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

If you can get your hands on a copy of Scott and Jepsen's 1940's papers (Denver Library?  Google scholar?), they have excellent drawings.  I will try to take some pix of some of mine to show the differences... tomorrow. 

• I found this Informative 1

Here are a few pix.  Ironically, it took me a long time to find an oreodont jaw around here.  I have stopped collecting isolated oreodont jaw fragments in the White River and all the ones I have prepped are attached to their skulls.  So this one is from the John Day Fm in Oregon that I collected in 1992.  The oreodont is brown, and I do not know the genus/species.  The camel is Peobrotherium from the White River Fm.   These are both left jaws. 

IMG_0452.JPG.a2dfeec8110573d8640792f3d9966cb0.JPG

Notice first how deep the oreo jaw is.  And conversely, how skinny the camel jaw is.   In the camel the premolars are considerably longer looking.  These ones are flatter because the camel jaw has worn teeth.   The easier way to ID them is by looking at the chewing surfaces:

IMG_0451.JPG.efa1a90ccb6bbe34a518bf34926d3c9a.JPG

The lingual edge is up in these pix (lingual= tongue side).  Notice how the oreodont's teeth are concave on this edge.  The camel's teeth are convex.  The oreo also has a significant cingulum (lower ridge) along the labial (=lips) side of the molars.  Since the camel's teeth are worn, it is easier to look at characters that do not involve the worn out parts.  The gap in the teeth I mentioned above is not preserved in this camel.  The camel's premolars are also skinnier.  

• I found this Informative 2