fossilsonwheels

Squalus sp

Pliocene

Yorktown Formation 

Aurora North Carolina 

I found this while picking through a very small amount of Lee Creek matrix we had. 

EB54BF9C-B973-41EA-950E-8BC8429688B0.jpeg

Edited by fossilsonwheels
  • Thank You 1

Squalus sp

Pleistocene

Kanzawa Sagamihara

Kanzawa Japan 

Our only Japanese shark tooth and our youngest example of a Squaliformes. Really nice looking little tooth and one that was previously posted by @Untitled as Ben is who we got this from. 

ECCA85A4-5D06-4668-8629-C1C1EE54D5A1.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Echinorhinus lapaoi

Cretaceous

Northumberland Formation 

Hornby Island BC Canada

A fairy recent pick up for us that we purchased from @rand95. Nice large in situ Bramble from a great deep water site. 

FDF1A73B-5D5D-4BE6-B727-531EDFE2AC34.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Echinorhinus blakei

Miocene

Pungo River Formation 

Lee Creek NC 

Not complete but I was looking more at the location as Lee Creek was a location I wanted to add. 

879DB83B-F1AF-4AF7-BD1D-BC367701327E.jpeg

• Thank You 1

Here is a fossil Greenland shark tooth that I traded for early this year or late last year.  It's more complete than the one I had before though I was happy to get that first one at the time and it was actually an extra in a trade.

Somniosus microcephalus

Late Miocene/Pliocene

Lillo, Antwerp, Belgium

11mm high

somniosus.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

12 hours ago, siteseer said:

Here is a fossil Greenland shark tooth that I traded for early this year or late last year.  It's more complete than the one I had before though I was happy to get that first one at the time and it was actually an extra in a trade.

Somniosus microcephalus

Late Miocene/Pliocene

Lillo, Antwerp, Belgium

11mm high

somniosus.jpg

Great tooth Jess ! Very good pick up

• 1 month later...

Squalus sp

Miocene

Santa Margarita Formation 

San Luis Obispo Co

Templeton, Ca

Very nice looking teeth from a new location for us. 

BD80A106-9DD0-4BF3-80B8-124BD29B0D24.jpeg

Those Squalus teeth are in unusually great condition for the Santa Margarita Sandstone.  Most fossils from it are quite water-worn - many toward the point of unrecognizability.  Squalus teeth have especially fragile roots.  I'm wondering if the Templeton teeth have suffered less transport than those found around Scotts Valley.  I don't think I've even seen a Squalus from Scotts Valley but Perry (1994) noted that he'd seen some badly worn specimens with serrations barely visible.

Perry, F.A.  1994

Fossil Sharks and Rays of the Southern Santa Cruz Mountains, California.  Santa Cruz Museum Association.  Natural History Guide No. 2.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, siteseer said:

Those Squalus teeth are in unusually great condition for the Santa Margarita Sandstone.  Most fossils from it are quite water-worn - many toward the point of unrecognizability.  Squalus teeth have especially fragile roots.  I'm wondering if the Templeton teeth have suffered less transport than those found around Scotts Valley.  I don't think I've even seen a Squalus from Scotts Valley but Perry (1994) noted that he'd seen some badly worn specimens with serrations barely visible.

Perry, F.A.  1994

Fossil Sharks and Rays of the Southern Santa Cruz Mountains, California.  Santa Cruz Museum Association.  Natural History Guide No. 2.

Thanks Jess ! They are in surprisingly good condition as were several other teeth from that location. There was a perfect Squatina and a really good quality Triakis. Biggest surprise was 8 or so Pristiophorus rostral teeth. The colors are great. I have not found any reference to Sawsharks from the Santa Margarita. 

2 teeth from Japan.

this one was offered by a friend leaving in Chiba prefecture

Dalatias Iicha

Miocene

Chiba prefecture, Japan

20230111_112852.thumb.jpg.85593739e062eac743425e83afde8d70.jpg

And one self collected

Centrophoroides latidens

Late Cretaceous, Santonian

Kumamoto prefecture, Japan

20230111_112639.thumb.jpg.9e282d05381ac824f289216145acd3ff.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

On 1/10/2023 at 6:40 PM, David in Japan said:

2 teeth from Japan.

this one was offered by a friend leaving in Chiba prefecture

Dalatias Iicha

Miocene

Chiba prefecture, Japan

20230111_112852.thumb.jpg.85593739e062eac743425e83afde8d70.jpg

And one self collected

Centrophoroides latidens

Late Cretaceous, Santonian

Kumamoto prefecture, Japan

20230111_112639.thumb.jpg.9e282d05381ac824f289216145acd3ff.jpg

Fantastic teeth !! Thanks for adding them to the thread. Japan’s fossil deposits contain some incredible Squaliformes. 

On 1/10/2023 at 10:38 PM, Chimera said:

Dalatias sp

Bartonian, Miretrain Marl,

Landes, France

Scale 1 cm 672579950_Dalatiassp.thumb.jpg.84b806b10ae7f16825b7977b73ff3519.jpg

Beautiful tooth and really cool location to add to the thread. Thank you for posting it. 

Beautiful tooth and really cool location to add to the thread. Thank you for posting it. 

Thank you, this species is rare and most of the time not so well preserved.

Edited by Chimera

• 1 month later...

Below is an Echinorhinus priscus, Bramble shark tooth (15 mm), from the Eocene, Nanjemoy Formation, of Virginia that I just pulled from matrix yesterday.  The tooth is a little beat up, but brambles from the Nanjemoy Formation are really rare.  The only reason I took a picture of this tooth is because I was really getting discouraged and frustrated with my setup for taking pictures of insects in amber and decided to try to take a few micro/small shark tooth pictures with the setup to see how the pictures would look.  The lighted tracing tablet that I put the tooth on gave me a nice background so I didn't have to do the usual background cleanup of my pictures and the new light I had bought gave me better lighting of the tooth than my microscope LEDs.  So taking this picture salvaged a really bad day of trying to take insect pictures.  With a little trial and error I should be able to really improve my small tooth pictures with my amber insect setup.

374849159_EchinorhinuspriscusBramblesharktooth15mm1.jpg.c971b6a00bb36bf6481a8ef04ccce857.jpg

I also took a quick picture of an Isistius trituratus, Cookie Cutter shark tooth (5 mm x 4 mm), that I also just pulled from the Eocene, Nanjemoy Formation, of Virginia matrix.

171853072_IsistiusTrituratus1.thumb.jpg.2227c297c296f4362be5057cfff91a59.jpg

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

1 hour ago, MarcoSr said:

Below is an Echinorhinus priscus, Bramble shark tooth (15 mm), from the Eocene, Nanjemoy Formation, of Virginia that I just pulled from matrix yesterday.  The tooth is a little beat up, but brambles from the Nanjemoy Formation are really rare.  The only reason I took a picture of this tooth is because I was really getting discouraged and frustrated with my setup for taking pictures of insects in amber and decided to try to take a few micro/small shark tooth pictures with the setup to see how the pictures would look.  The lighted tracing tablet that I put the tooth on gave me a nice background so I didn't have to do the usual background cleanup of my pictures and the new light I had bought gave me better lighting of the tooth than my microscope LEDs.  So taking this picture salvaged a really bad day of trying to take insect pictures.  With a little trial and error I should be able to really improve my small tooth pictures with my amber insect setup.

374849159_EchinorhinuspriscusBramblesharktooth15mm1.jpg.c971b6a00bb36bf6481a8ef04ccce857.jpg

I also took a quick picture of an Isistius trituratus, Cookie Cutter shark tooth (5 mm x 4 mm), that I also just pulled from the Eocene, Nanjemoy Formation, of Virginia matrix.

171853072_IsistiusTrituratus1.thumb.jpg.2227c297c296f4362be5057cfff91a59.jpg

Marco Sr.

Great finds. Thanks for adding these to the thread Marco Sr. I’ve never gotten to search Nanjemoy matrix but I know from talking to @sharkdoctor that Brambles are quite rare. 

• Enjoyed 1

• 1 month later...

Somniosus microcephalus

Pliocene

Kattendijk Sands

Antwerp Belgium

Just got this, an upgrade with some root intact. I haven’t been finding many Squaliformes late so I’m happy to have something to add to the thread. 

7DF31C64-B4E9-4311-A199-E6DF7C0AA6E9.jpeg