Thalassina Lobster Prep

Ruger9a

Good morning.  I just wanted to share one of the projects I've been working on.  It's a Thalassina lobster from Darwin in the Northern Territories of Australia and it from the Holocene-Pleistocene.  Photos include the before and current stage of the prep.  Hope you enjoy.

1a.jpg

1a1.jpg

1d.jpg

1d1.jpg

2b.jpg

2b1.jpg

3c.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

I have always wondered why I never see prepped specimens of these things.  I just assumed they were too darn difficult, but it looks like you may have proved me wrong.  Are you air abrading this thing?  

• I found this Informative 1

Good work! I remember you made a thread a while back about another one of these you prepped. (That thread also has in progress pictures of this one if anyone's interested) Have you upgraded your tools since then?

Thanks all.  Your comments make want to continue with this prep.  I've been working (a little at a time) on this specimen for a few years because it is SO difficult and very frustrating.  No I am not using any new tools, various Xacto blades, some Dremel and a lot of patience which is why it's taking so long.  Huntonia is correct, this is the same specimen I posted almost a year ago but with additional matrix removed to bring out more of the fine details.  I have focused most of my efforts on the right side because I started to feel like I wasn't accomplishing anything doing a little bit all over.  I hope you can see the detailed differences since November.  Wasn't quite as lucky with the additional work on the left side as two of the legs broke and fell off, they will be glued and reattached later.  I am being very careful removing matrix now, just a little at a time.  Here are a few more update photos.

20201011_181459a.jpg

20201011_181547a.jpg

20201011_181609a.jpg

20201011_181647a.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Even though it’s hard work, it looks to be well worth the effort! A great example of how a good prep job can still be accomplished without fancy air tools. Of course the air tools would most likely lessen your frustration, but with enough time and patience even manual tools (and a dremel ;)) can get the job done. Great job! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

40 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Even though it’s hard work, it looks to be well worth the effort! A great example of how a good prep job can still be accomplished without fancy air tools. Of course the air tools would most likely lessen your frustration, but with enough time and patience even manual tools (and a dremel ;)) can get the job done. Great job! :) 

Thanks!  I did receive an air abrader/mini sand blaster setup last week, but haven't tried it yet.  Having surgery Wednesday so I'll try it afterwards.  I have to build a small cabinet with a vacuum to catch the mess.  I'm sort of a procrastinator when it come to using new tools I'm not familiar with.  But, if it will make the prepping process easier and the finished product look better I will.  

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, Ruger9a said:

Thanks!  I did receive an air abrader/mini sand blaster setup last week, but haven't tried it yet.  Having surgery Wednesday so I'll try it afterwards.  I have to build a small cabinet with a vacuum to catch the mess.  I'm sort of a procrastinator when it come to using new tools I'm not familiar with.  But, if it will make the prepping process easier and the finished product look better I will.  

I don’t blame you for procrastinating. Using new tools can be nerve wracking. Especially when just starting to use them on a cherished fossil. The mechanical tools can speed up the process, but will also wreck a fossil in short order if used improperly.

I myself have yet to get into air tools, but by all accounts they can help with the hard stuff, and make the whole process faster. I’ve looked a few times, and even had plans to get a beginner scribe and air abrasions setup, but they fell through. Oh well... It’s pen vice and dremel engraver for me for a little while longer. 

Good luck with your surgery on Wednesday. Finger’s crossed that everything goes well for you! :fingerscrossed:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

6 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

I highly recommend it, I just got my abrasive setup this week, and I'm already loving it. Working out the kinks of course (not sure if my problems are from my medium or just the horribly humid climate). What medium are you using? So far I've found that baking soda is soft enough I don't find myself feeling like I have to worry about damaging the fossil at 60 PSI. 

By the way what are you going into surgery for? I hope you recover well! 

9 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I don’t blame you for procrastinating. Using new tools can be nerve wracking. Especially when just starting to use them on a cherished fossil. The mechanical tools can speed up the process, but will also wreck a fossil in short order if used improperly.

I myself have yet to get into air tools, but by all accounts they can help with the hard stuff, and make the whole process faster. I’ve looked a few times, and even had plans to get a beginner scribe and air abrasions setup, but they fell through. Oh well... It’s pen vice and dremel engraver for me for a little while longer. 

Good luck with your surgery on Wednesday. Finger’s crossed that everything goes well for you! :fingerscrossed:

4 hours ago, Huntonia said:

I highly recommend it, I just got my abrasive setup this week, and I'm already loving it. Working out the kinks of course (not sure if my problems are from my medium or just the horribly humid climate). What medium are you using? So far I've found that baking soda is soft enough I don't find myself feeling like I have to worry about damaging the fossil at 60 PSI. 

By the way what are you going into surgery for? I hope you recover well! 

I'm excited about using it, especially to prevent those nasty, razor grooves (slips).  I might even use it to tidy up some of my other preps (like the one in attached photo), once I become comfortable with it .  I don't remember the brand, it's still in the box and did come with a container of mild abrasive.  I'll go to my shop and take a photo once the sun comes up.  I purchased it on our favorite auction site.  It had quite a few positive reviews and a reasonable price for a beginner.  I already have a compressor and a place to set it up, just need to stop procrastinating. Thanks for the "well wishes", it's carotid artery surgery.  Apparently, I like all the wrong foods..... 

20191118_165105 (2).jpg

Here's some photos of the air abrader (Eraser).  I didn't see any connection adapter for the compressor hose, most likely I'll have to purchase it separately.  Hope the info helps.    

20201012_081537.jpg

5 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Here's some photos of the air abrader (Eraser).  I didn't see any connection adapter for the compressor hose, most likely I'll have to purchase it separately.  Hope the info helps.    

20201012_081537.jpg

This looks identical to the model I got. It did prove a bit tricky to attach to to the compressor, the fittings on the hose and abrader are BSP so most hardware stores won't carry an appropriate adapter, I had to order one online. The medium it comes with is aluminum oxide which the experts agree is too harsh for use on fossils. 

4 hours ago, Huntonia said:

This looks identical to the model I got. It did prove a bit tricky to attach to to the compressor, the fittings on the hose and abrader are BSP so most hardware stores won't carry an appropriate adapter, I had to order one online. The medium it comes with is aluminum oxide which the experts agree is too harsh for use on fossils. 

Thanks for the information!  I don't suppose you still have the info on the adapter?  I plan to begin my experimentations using baking soda and go from there. I did start preparing a place to locate my work area under a window with small exhaust fans.  I got a little motivated about it today.

47 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

don't suppose you still have the info on the adapter?

As a matter of fact I do, I'll shoot you a PM with the details.

Back in the day I used to see a lot of these.  Even got one for myself.  What seems odd to me is the color of the matrix.  Yours is in a red matrix.  All the ones I have seen are in a lighter colored matrix and the matrix being very hard.  Its been so long that Im wondering if I just didnt see the red colored matrix ones?  Anyways, nice job. 

RB

8 hours ago, RJB said:

Back in the day I used to see a lot of these.  Even got one for myself.  What seems odd to me is the color of the matrix.  Yours is in a red matrix.  All the ones I have seen are in a lighter colored matrix and the matrix being very hard.  Its been so long that Im wondering if I just didnt see the red colored matrix ones?  Anyways, nice job. 

RB

Hi Ron.  I remember those days, there were many available.  Haven't checked lately though because I already have several and the matrix is too difficult to work.  I broke the first two I started prepping in several places, one just shattered. Two or three are (were) a cream/gray color and the others are red/orange color on the outer layer.  Seems the color may just be a dried mud coating that blead into the matrix.  All of mine came from the same place and if I remember correctly, the same seller.  Thanks, that's a real complement coming from a prepping master!

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this update for anyone who is interested.  I'm about on the last stages of this prep.  Hope you enjoy it!