Possible Trilobite?

KC2EP

While hiking some park trails yesterday we came across a limestone embankment that was significantly eroded.  Lots of Bracciopods, but we found one different one.  Located in Saugerties, NY.  Is this a part of a trilobite?

08D19AD9-D5EE-4010-8297-65A9C4504801.jpeg

Well the picture is a bit blurry, but it does look like a trilobite pygidium.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

It looks like it could possibly be a trilobite pygidium (a trilobite butt). A better, in focus, picture would help to confirm. 

EDIT: @Darktooth is typing fast than me this morning. Must get more coffee! :coffee:

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Ok thanks!  Going to hike back and get it today!  I hi didn’t really think much until this morning I cracked open one of my ID books because it was on my mind how different it looked.  Will post better pictures this afternoon.

It does look like it could be a trilobite pygidium, but a better view is needed to confirm it. Partial trilobite remains can be found in the limestone outcrops around Saugerties. 

I went back and retried the fossil.  I’m attaching a better photo.  I can get it under the stereo scope if need be.  It does appear that more of it is in the matrix as the edges of the limestone are slightly raised and I can see the fossil extend further into the rock.

77E639DA-F56B-4E25-99B1-F69110F60CD0.jpeg

If its possible I'd suggest to try to take off some rocks on top so we can see more.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

2 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

If its possible I'd suggest to try to take off some rocks on top so we can see more.

I'm researching now the best way to do that. 

I'd agree with trilobite pygidium.

Saugerties is part of the Schoharie formation, which is Devonian. There, you can find some Anchiopellae or trypaulites : https://journals.lib.unb.ca/index.php/ag/article/view/25361/29993

• I found this Informative 2

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

59 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

Saugerties is part of the Schoharie formation, which is Devonian. There, you can find some Anchiopellae or trypaulites : https://journals.lib.unb.ca/index.php/ag/article/view/25361/29993

Great article!  Thanks for posting.  I’m going to try to get this prepped out a bit as it appears there is more in the matrix.

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

Anchiopella is named for a genus from South Africa.  The correct name for the North American genus is Anchiopsis.  The 1959 Treatise and subsequent publications have inadvertently applied the name Anchiopella as a senior synonym of Anchiopsis.  In summary, they are distinctly different genera: Anchiopella belonging to the Calmoniidae and Anchiopsis to the Dalmanitidae.

It is clear then that Reed characterized his new sub-group Anchiopella by opposition to the Calymene anchiops Green group and that he erected this new sub-group to separate a whole set of species different from Calymene anchiops Green but still having affinities with it. It is also evident that this cannot be taken as a designation of Calymene anchiops Green as type species of Anchiopella Reed, because Calymene anchiops is excluded from the sub-group Anchiopella Reed.

Lespérance, P.J., Bourque, P.A. 1971

The Synphoriinae: An Evolutionary Pattern of Lower and Middle Devonian Trilobites.

Journal of Paleontology, 45(2):182-208

Anchiopella was introduced by Reed (1907b) for a subgroup of D. anchiops that he referred to as the cristagalli subgroup. He confirmed this as his type species designation in a later paper. Lespérance & Bourque (1971) outlined in detail the difficult history of Anchiopella and Anchiopsis and concluded that both are available names. We agree with their conclusions. Thus, in the absence of good reason to suppress Anchiopella, Cooper’s (1982) action of assigning cristagalli to Bainella means that Bainella becomes a junior subjective synonym of Anchiopella.

Jell, P.A., Adrain, J.M. 2003

Available Generic Names for Trilobites.

Queensland Museum Memoirs, 48(2):331-553  PDF LINK

image.thumb.png.1e2916fb4c4395d8396467426ef02bee.png

figures from:

Cooper, M.R. 1982

A Revision of the Devonian (Emsian-Eifelian) Trilobita from the Bokkeveld Group of South Africa. Annals of the South African Museum, 89(1):1-174  PDF LINK

Hall, J., Clarke, J.M. 1888

Palaeontology VII. Containing descriptions and figures of the trilobites and other crustacea of the Oriskany, upper Helderberg, Hamilton, Portage, Chemung and Catskill Groups. Geological Survey of New York, Natural History of New York, Palaeontology, 7:1-236  Hall & Clarke 1888 text   Hall & Clarke 1888 plates

• I found this Informative 7

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I was able to uncover some of this one.  Looking like a trilobite.  Going to take a lot of work to expose it all as the rock is extremely hard near the actual fossil.

9E4A8231-DECD-4A2C-935F-2F5EBC86FB71.jpeg

On 10/11/2020 at 7:52 AM, KC2EP said:

While hiking some park trails yesterday we came across a limestone embankment that was significantly eroded.  Lots of Bracciopods, but we found one different one.  Located in Saugerties, NY.  Is this a part of a trilobite?

08D19AD9-D5EE-4010-8297-65A9C4504801.jpeg

Looks like a pyg to me. This should help if I have guessed the proper formation:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319396580_Trilobites_from_the_Rickard_Hill_facies_of_the_Saugerties_Member_of_the_Schoharie_Formation_eastern_New_York_upper_Emsian_and_Lower_Devonian_a_case_study_in_taphonomy_and_sequence

24 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

Another member has already linked this article above, and @piranha’s comment corrected their Anchiopella designation for Anchiopsis. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 minutes ago, Kane said:

Another member has already linked this article above, and @piranha’s comment corrected their Anchiopella designation for Anchiopsis. ;) 

Ah cool! Missed it! On phone screen pre coffee!

• I found this Informative 1