Rare Jurassic theropod tooth from Atlas Mountains

Dinocollector

Hi!

I can get this incredible and rare tooth.

It is from the Atlas Mountains, Morocco so it’s a Jurassic tooth.

Any idea about posible ID?

Thank you so much!

270889FC-7633-460A-91CA-5D52EDD4CB42.jpeg

3EF48B93-3347-48F4-8A97-C94A6C5D593C.jpeg

99A06452-0BCE-4F3D-9559-559FA959F426.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Doubt you will get an ID because little is described from their Jurassic but let's first ask do you have a locality and formation?  Looks like a nice tooth.

The only information I’ve been able to find in past research is that Allosaurid remains have been found. Best ID is theropod indet. for these obscure Jurassic theropod teeth.

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Doubt you will get an ID because little is described from their Jurassic but let's first ask do you have a locality and formation?  Looks like a nice tooth.

9 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

The only information I’ve been able to find in past research is that Allosaurid remains have been found. Best ID is theropod indet. for these obscure Jurassic theropod teeth.

The information that the digger give to me it’s Atlas Mountains.

These are other teeth that he found in the same formation in Morocco

FE611DF4-E538-42E0-9D45-9D24A9C0A38C.jpeg

7737A2C0-8771-4D12-B42C-88006D50A08C.jpeg

C66C4A4F-1E8D-429E-90F0-013B29B1C2E5.jpeg

B12297E8-6663-47B6-B5A4-49077AECD179.jpeg

5970BC63-8F5E-4FDE-AA41-5F872AAC0A33.jpeg

2C7948D0-C977-497E-8B43-8BCBE274C8BD.jpeg

157CEA5E-8A8C-4759-96A9-722C695BCF14.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Its best identified as an indeterminate theropod and a good pickup if you acquire it.  We have early jurassic deposits of the Azilal and Wazzant Formation (Toundute Continental Series) the The El Mers Group in the middle jurassic.  

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Its best identified as an indeterminate theropod and a good pickup if you acquire it.  We have early jurassic deposits of the Azilal and Wazzant Formation (Toundute Continental Series) the The El Mers Group in the middle jurassic.  

Thank you so much for your huge help! Any idea about the other 2 teeth? One seems theropod too and the other... sauropod? Atlasaurus?

15 minutes ago, Dinocollector said:

Thank you so much for your huge help! Any idea about the other 2 teeth? One seems theropod too and the other... sauropod? Atlasaurus?

It looks like a sauropod but I don't see any diagnostic features that suggests Atlasaurus.  The Atlasaurus holotype is fairly complete so luckily we know quite a bit on it.  Its teeth are suppose to have denticles along the ridge.  From the blurry photos I don't see any denticles but you have it in hand so you may be able to tell better.

Other theropod tooth is best identified as Theropod indet. too.

Also what is the age?  There are several jurassic sites in Morocco of different ages so that may assist with ID as well.

17 minutes ago, Dinocollector said:

Again its about locality 

14 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

It looks like a sauropod but I don't see any diagnostic features that suggests Atlasaurus.  The Atlasaurus holotype is fairly complete so luckily we know quite a bit on it.  Its teeth are suppose to have denticles along the ridge.  From the blurry photos I don't see any denticles but you have it in hand so you may be able to tell better.

Also what is the age?  There are several jurassic sites in Morocco of different ages so that may assist with ID as well.

9 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Again its about locality 

Ok! I will try get the exact locality.

The problem it’s that the local diggers do not tell the exact locality...

I think that this it’s a Atlasaurus.

What do you think?

0E298787-AEE2-4EF8-B278-F2FF22374BFF.jpeg

C0336242-066A-4A6F-995F-E1998B25A504.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, Dinocollector said:

What do you think?

0E298787-AEE2-4EF8-B278-F2FF22374BFF.jpeg  C0336242-066A-4A6F-995F-E1998B25A504.jpeg

Without location and diagnostic characteristics, it is just sauropoda indet.

10 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Without location and diagnostic characteristics, it is just sauropoda indet.

Thank you so much! I will get the teeth in some days and I will post more photos.

4 hours ago, Dinocollector said:

What do you think?

0E298787-AEE2-4EF8-B278-F2FF22374BFF.jpeg

C0336242-066A-4A6F-995F-E1998B25A504.jpeg

This is a beautiful tooth! Are you going to be able to purchase this one also?

Identification of jurassic material requires one to know the geologic formation the tooth was collected in followed by locality.  Both are required.  Having said that very few dinosaurs have been described from the Jurassic of Morocco so even if the information is available we might not be able to say much more than we have.   Its important to have a good provenance because when discoveries are made you may at a future date be able to assign your teeth to a specific dinosaurs

hi

i dont know for the ID of the tooth,but...the pictures are taken in boulmane , its a locality south of fes north midelt. jurassic .    33°18'47.79"N   4°42'10.16"O

https://paleoglot.org/files/Charroud&Fedan_92.pdf

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

In my collection I have some sauropod bones from the Atlas region. Even though the finders told me the location where the bones have been found it seems to be almost impossible to find out the geological formation they belong to. Often the bones have been found on a slope which cuts through several layers of rock and mudstone that potentially represent a long period of time. I therefore ended up labeling the bones "sauropod indet" from the "Jurassic". *

* However, some ridiculously long front leg bones (longer than the hind legs) have been found at the same location which could indeed mean "Atlasaurus". :rolleyes:

FYI

Atlasaurus was described from  Wawmda, Bathonian-Callovian age,  Azilal province, Hi Atlas Mountains.  Its only been found in the Tilougguit Basin, Guettioua Formation 

The tooth does have the morphology of a Eusauropoda type sauropod 

I remember watching a dinosaur documentary many years ago, I wish I could remember what it was called, where they were in the Atlas mountains of Morocco. They were digging up a Sauropod dinosaur identified as Atlasaurus with a partial skull that had jaw sections full of beautiful black spatulate shaped teeth just like the one Dinocollector posted.

16 hours ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

This is a beautiful tooth! Are you going to be able to purchase this one also?

Hello! Yes I bought these. I will get them in some days and I can post more photos.

8 hours ago, Troodon said:

FYI

Atlasaurus was described from  Wawmda, Bathonian-Callovian age,  Azilal province, Hi Atlas Mountains.  Its only been found in the Tilougguit Basin, Guettioua Formation 

The tooth does have the morphology of a Eusauropoda type sauropod 

Thank you so much for your help! I will try to get the location but will be difficult with the local diggers... I will ask him to send me the location (in Facebook or WhatsApp)

4 hours ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

I remember watching a dinosaur documentary many years ago, I wish I could remember what it was called, where they were in the Atlas mountains of Morocco. They were digging up a Sauropod dinosaur identified as Atlasaurus with a partial skull that had jaw sections full of beautiful black spatulate shaped teeth just like the one Dinocollector posted.

hello! Yes I think it’s Atlasaurus but like Troodon said it’s difficult to know 100% with the location... I only know that they are from Atlas Mountains...

On 10/12/2020 at 3:43 PM, Dinocollector said:

Hello! Yes I bought these. I will get them in some days and I can post more photos.

Fantastic! That is an extremely rare tooth in absolutely beautiful condition! I'm very jealous! I can't wait to see more photos.

On 11/10/2020 at 11:18 PM, Troodon said:

On 11/10/2020 at 11:34 PM, Runner64 said:

Hello! I get more information about the theropod teeth.

Location is Talsint, Atlas Mountains

I hope this help...

8E9FBC65-4166-4575-9781-EE5D2A5FC267.jpeg

IMG_2432.MOV

Interesting.   First let me say that you are not going to get these teeth identified to a genus/species because I'm not aware of any theropods being described from that region other than Berberosaurus. They are an indeterminate theropod.

Do you know the  jurassic formation where these were found..  Talsint is east of where most jurassic finds have been made its near Anoual where early Cretaceous teeth have found.  So are they Jurassic or early Cretaceous?  It does not change any identification but will help if future discoveries are described 

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

Interesting.   First let me say that you are not going to get these teeth identified to a genus/species because I'm not aware of any theropods being described from that region.  They are an indeterminate theropod.

Do you know the  jurassic formation where these were found..  Talsint is east of where most jurassic finds have been made its near Anoual where early Cretaceous teeth have found.  So are they Jurassic or early Cretaceous?  It does not change any identification but will help if future discoveries are described 

I think jurassic... the digger told me Jurassic...

I tried to find any publication but I can not find any published...

I think they are similar to some megalosaurus from Niger... like Berberosaurus?

This tooth it’s from the same location... 
If these teeth are important for future discoveries I can send them to an expert...

Thank you so much!

616622BC-FF6F-4194-A833-CE50584E99AF.jpeg

9D648891-D0CE-4D6A-9746-E2AB6F0DAFA5.jpeg

AEAF069C-1512-4E5D-8183-2D1A35BF60C0.jpeg

026BFD20-D19F-47BD-8137-44969FFA8557.jpeg

C3431F4C-9849-456C-8C7D-4007E4192FA1.jpeg